Cordless telephones

Most states do not tax food. Tax laws vary by state. Very few tax food. In my state they tax soda, candy, prepared foods, lake a take out sandwich, only. No tax on anything you are going to cook.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That must be a huge loaf of bread to cost that much.

So it's as I thought, the price on the shelf isn't the price you pay. That's deception.

I've never understood your tax system. It's up to every single individual to do their taxes?! That only happens here if you run your own business. If I work fo someone else, my income tax is subtracted before I get it. Sales tax is removed by the shop, but it's included in the price of the bread. All I see is the bread costs 35p.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Beer? I never tried that but I have made my share of whiskey. The problem is it is hard to compete with the pros, even with the tax. When I can buy a 1.75l of no name whiskey for $11-12 my moonshine is not competitive. I will run a novelty batch off every now and then just because I can. You really need to age it in charcoal for a while or it is pretty nasty. I don't have access to charred oak barrels but you do pretty well by just charring up chunks of oak and putting them in a big glass jug with your whiskey. I have a 5 gallon glass water bottle that is probably an antique by now but it does work great for aging whiskey. Cap it up, put it in the back of the closet and forget about it for a couple years. I get some oak firewood logs, split them up into 1x1 strips and roast them over the gas grill until they char up pretty good, then drop them through the neck of the jug. You want a lot of them in there. Quick and dirty is just to dump in a big bag of fish tank, activated charcoal. It takes out the nasty but does not add any flavor.

Reply to
gfretwell

It is just a way to make it look like the high price is not their fault.

Reply to
gfretwell

We have a very convoluted tax system and I certainly would not defend it but there are plenty of tax attorneys and accountants who will fight to their dying breath to preserve it. It is the way politicians pay back their bribe money too. People would raise holy hell if you said Exxon was getting a fat check from the government every year but if they can hide it in the tax code, nobody notices. They prop up the real estate business and reward people rich enough to buy a house by making the mortgage tax deductible. Renters get screwed. The list goes on. It makes the process of paying taxes just about as cumbersome as possible. More than half of the people here need an accountant or a computer tax program, just to fill out the forms and a good number of those people will not actually owe any money. About 45% do not end up owing any income tax at all but they still need to file to get back the money withheld from their pay.

The ironic thing is we kicked out the brits to get away from unfair taxes, Then we did it to ourselves.

Reply to
gfretwell

Dunno what you call it. I brew dextrose monohydrate (sugar) straight into 23% alcohol (Alcotec Turbo Yeast). Then mix that with something to flavour it.

I can make mine TEN times cheaper than I can buy it. I'm basically making it at the same price I'd pay the brewery. But not paying the 90% part which is tax.

Too much hassle all that. It takes me two weeks to make 60 litres of 23% alcohol.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

These sort of things just piss me off and I'd go somewhere that doesn't f*ck me about. I hate shops that do vouchers for example. FFS, just lower the damn price!

Then you get shops that sell oranges individually and in bags. One of them is price per orange, the other is price per kg. How the f*ck do I compare that?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Over here you don't even need an accountant if you're self employed. It's really simple to fill in the online forms.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I was not familiar with a yeast that will survive much more than 12% alcohol but I will look into it. This is basically sugar wine. (similar to mead) It is the raw material for rum, before you distill it. I agree you can buy sugar and ferment it pretty cheaply. I just prefer to distill it out if I want rum. I still want something with more character for my everyday drink. I like

12 year old scotch or single barrel bourbon.
Reply to
gfretwell

This is probably a uniquely American problem. Politicians use the tax code to pay back favors and influence behavior. They make it as complicated as possible to hide the dirty deeds. They can get things through buried in the tax code that would have people marching with torches if it was plain language legislation.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nobody understands our tax system. We have to fill out our own income taxes, or get someone that thinks they know how to do it. It can be a no cost friend or a person that makes their living doing taxes and they can chargfe whatever they think you will pay. Often based on how much money and how complicated your taxes are. I usually run a computer tax program that costs about $ 70. My taxes are not that complicated either.

We can call a government tax person and ask questions. Often if you call 3 times and get 3 different people you will get 3 different answers,and most likely 2 every time.

Depening on the state you live in, you also have to do the state taxes, often based to some extent of the Federal tax.

The government takes a percentage of what you make and if your taxes are not that much, you get a refund. If nore, you pay, and if way not enough , you pay plus an added ammount for not paying enough.

I forgot what it was, but the average working person pays over half his wages in some form of tax. Fed, state, county, fees for a car license tag, fees to hunt and fish,marriage license, tax on anything you buy, and many other fees.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

When I had a business return I ran TurboTax and it was a pretty simple business, basically just recovering home office and travel expenses. When we had the store we had a professional accountant. These days we have a pretty simple return and I do it myself but by the time I get all the forms done I still spend 4 hours or so on it. (more if I sell some stock). I usually overpay enough that I get money back but it is better than owing with interest and penalties if I guess wrong.

Reply to
gfretwell

As taxpayers we have a lot of lazy stupid useless democrats to support.

Reply to
trumpster

Did you sleep through Math 101?

Reply to
Wally

I have income from two states so I have to file for both of them. Turbo Tax saves me a of of time just importing information from the Fed forms.

I'm waiting for the day that accountants and tax lawyers get together and demand a simplified tax code that anyone can file themselves and won't need us. Think it will be coming soon?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We need to figure out a way to convince the congress critters that the accountants and tax lawyers are screwing them, so they will act on tax simplification.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Too many congress critters are lawyers and remain part of the club. It would not be difficult to make taxes fair and simple for both business and individuals but as long as running for office depends on donations, it won't happen.

Most deductions would be eliminated. Tax rate would start at 0% for the first $5000 and work up from there in increasing increments.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They are probably lobbying to keep the tax codes so complicated that the average person has to use their services. Just think how much money is involved if they can get even $ 25 to $ 50 out of each tax payer.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Their lobbying has succeeded in keeping the IRS from allowing its fill in forms to do math.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Maths. Short for.... mathematics. Not mathematic. You yanks can do more than one kind, right?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword