Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Preserving garlic for replanting?
Hi All, After harvesting my garlic, is there any trick to preserving what I want to replant in the fall. Usually it get all dried out and dies on me by then. Put it in the refrigerator? Many thanks,...
17
17

Review: GrowOrganic.com
Hi All, SNV8470 Organic Tomatillo, Pineapple (Ground Cherry) forty seeds planted: zero germination SNV8414 Organic Summer Squash, Ronde de Nice twenty seeds planed: two germinated SNV8245 Organic...
4
4

Garden Corn
We've been having corn-on-the-cob from our garden recently, very unusual fo r mid-June, but we've had a very warm and early spring this year. My wife s tarted the seeds in the greenhouse, moved the...
6
6

Billberry pants?
Hi All, Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus), not Blueberry! I have been searching for Bilberry plants for a couple of years now. I have totally bombed ou8t trying to grow them from seeds. The closest I can...
6
6

getting there
i have sprouts coming up from the beans i planted on the 3rd. :) not many chipmunks running around so perhaps i can keep most of these from being eaten as they sprout and get plants and then beans...

Earth Nails: History of the Dandelion
Hi All, If you have 11 minutes and 38 seconds of your life that you do not know what to do with, this is a fascinating history of the Dandelion from the History Guy: Dandelions and Civilization Death...
2
2

When to start fertilizing?
Hi All, When to start fertilizing? 1) sprouts from seeds? 2) transplants from the nursery? Many thanks, -T
4
4

What is wrong with my onions?
Hi All, The few onions that managed to make it through the winter were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact. Seems to me a...
16
16

Good, if late, weekend
*Finally* got some stuff into the ground. We've had an entertaining spring in western Ohio. We went from "chance of frost" to "heat advisory" in the span of 3 week. (I may exhagerate, just a bit.)...
1
1

getting warm weather plants in
we've had a lot of rain this spring. the ground is pretty saturated. Saturday morning we had 4+ inches of rain so it all ran off. this is the 2nd time in over 22yrs we had water come over the road. we...

Pumpkin Patch
I planted the pumpkins this morning. Hopefully, they'll do better than last year when all the pumpkin plants got drowned by unusually high rainfall. Paul
4
4

Any trick to planting onion seeds?
Hi All, I can't get onion seeds to sprout for my life. I plant them about 1/4 deep, about 3" away from each other, and water them. Zip. Nothing. Is there any trick to onions seeds? Many thanks, -T
11
11

Another berry good day
  Looks like we may get tired of strawberries ... nah , that ain't happening ! Picked another basket this morning to be sure we had enough for a batch of jam , coulda made 2 batches with these and...
4
4

Grass Clippings As Mulch
We finally got a break in the rain for a few days so I mowed the lawn. I raked up the clippings and filled the lawn tractor trailer, about 24 cubic feet; I had to tamp down the clippings a few times...
4
4

Pick pick pick !
  Strawberries , that is . With today's haul we have enough for a batch of jam ... half pints are in the dishwasher , berries are on the counter ready to cap-n-smash .In addition , the corn is coming...
6
6