What is wrong with my onions?

Hi All,

The few onions that managed to make it through the winter were going strong, then suddenly it is like something cut off the leaves, except for the scapes which were all in tact.

Seems to me a "critter" would have eaten the whole thing.

What is going on?

Many thanks,

-T

something taller perhaps. do you have deer around there?

anyways, they'll grow back...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

The same exact thing happened to a 4" plant as to an 18" plant. And the scapes were all left intact.

???????????

T wrote: ...

*shrug*

dunno... not much eats onions/garlic...

if you have pets i hope it isn't them as it's not good for them.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

T wrote: ...

wonder if you had hail? though it seems strange to me that it would be limited damage to only a few onions...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

We have been having thunderstorms, but no hail as of yet

Around here, I would suspect rabbits.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Do they eat the whole leaf or just the top half?

Do they eat the scapes too. My mystery browsers left all the scapes

They nibble until they get a mouth full and then move on to the next part of the plant.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

That would explain the half eaten

That is exactly what the cotton tails do to my wife's flowers!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

I wonder if it is on purpose to allow the plant to grow back so they can harvest it again? If so, that would be one smart bunny!

T wrote: ...

i wish that were true here, but the wabbits take the beans right off at nearly ground level.

groundhogs will leave the bottom leaves alone (they like the tender new growth).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

damwabbits. Ugh. The daring, dastardly little girl in me recently set off a stinkbomb down a damwabbit hole. (or maybe just a woodchuck.) It was those kind that poof up & then explode. Short while later my son was bouncing on the trampoline, said "something stinks!". Not sure it ever reached the damwabbit though. 3rd grade entertainment, o how I've missed it.

Reply to
Nelly W

if you are still having trouble with onions after this season send me a note (this e-mail works) with your mailing address and i'll send you some of the bunching onions i have growing now.

they're in bloom now and look to be growing really well.

the other day i was looking at the blooms and there were at least eight different bee species on them including one i'd not seen before. :) i wish i'd had my camera with me because it was a rather large bee too, pretty impressive...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

That is a nice offer. Thank you! I am having no problems with the 100 for $3.00 onion marbles from Wal Mart.

I think my onion seed issues have to do with the suppliers, not me (this time). The green onion seeds I got from Wal Mart and sprouting in droves, so it ain't me (this time).