What critter is doing this?

Hi All,

Some critter is making 6" diameter half circle holes in my garden. They stay away from the plants so no harm seems to be done. Yesterday, I found two next to each other. There does not seems to be anything at the bottom and the thunderstorms wash them away. I am really still curious.

-T

cats or birds are my best guesses.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I know skunks will dig holes in the lawn for grubs or whatever. I have never seen any holes that big but googling pictures looks like they did it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Figured it out!

It is quail doing dust baths.

Question in my mind is, did the quail cause it or are they just taking advantage of it being there?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

They sit on the ground and flutter all their feather to run dirt through them (dirt bath). The process leaves dirt bowl in the picture.

There were two bowls right next to each other, so I presume daddy and mommy took a bath together.

If would have been something to watch!

Watch away !

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Better than any cat video!

:-)

That is cool. Knew birds did it but never saw it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

And more birds, less bugs.

I wish I could find and attract a night bird, so they would eat my earwigs, which only come out at night

That is a job for bats. Should be plenty around.

Few years ago we were plagued with stink bugs but they are scarce now. I guess it too a few years for the bats and birds to develop an acquired taste.

Wish it worked that way with weeds.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yep - I especially like those bats which echo-locate their prey on-the-ground ... like earwigs. .. dunno. John T.

Reply to
hubops

No bats! Damn!

I'd love to train the earwigs to eat the weeds and bat to eat the earwigs

bugs

Reply to
allen