Is this wood treatment OK with plants

Hi,

Further to enquiries in uk.d-i-y about protecting my softwood trough planters from the elements, as well as some special preserver in the end-grain at the base of the legs (see other thread) I'm thinking of giving them an all-over coat of Ronseal Garden Furniture Protector - see

.

Anyone know whether this sort of thing is likely to harm the plants that end up in the planters? It seems to be mainly white spirit and waxy stuff, although it does say that "the inclusion of a surface biocide also ensures that the coating is guarded from mould and algal growth".

I've got some heavy-duty-polythene liners to contain the compost, with holes in the bottom for drainage, so in fact the earth should not be in much contact with the wood, which will hopefully be better for both wood and earth.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

In article , Martin Pentreath writes: |> |> Anyone know whether this sort of thing is likely to harm the plants |> that end up in the planters? It seems to be mainly white spirit and |> waxy stuff, although it does say that "the inclusion of a surface |> biocide also ensures that the coating is guarded from mould and algal |> growth".

That will kill any plant roots that contact it, at least.

|> I've got some heavy-duty-polythene liners to contain the compost, with |> holes in the bottom for drainage, so in fact the earth should not be |> in much contact with the wood, which will hopefully be better for both |> wood and earth.

That's probably OK, then.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

Hi,

What would be ideal is to find some plastic troughs that slot inside the wooden ones, they don't have to be an exact fit.

The ends of the legs I'd put in plastic jar lids and top up with clear wood preserver. Once dry I'd then give the ends a coat of wood stain or paint.

Milk carton tops (semi skimmed ;) ) fastened to the ends of the legs with small brass tacks might make ideal feet.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C