Wood treatment

Hi All,

I am building an outdoor "kitchen". I have some tanalised timber left over from some building work so thought I would use that for the frame - there is a granite worktop on top.

Although in theory the tanalised timber should be ok, I thought I might as well give it an extra boost to be doubly sure. Ideally, as part of the pro cess, I would like to colour the wood so it matches the cedar fronts.

So... the question is what should I use to maximise the life of the timber? In theory, it should be dry and losing colour a bit wont really matter as it is inside the cupboards. I thought about some fence treatment or maybe apply some varnish or something even on top is the treatment.

What do you guys think?

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

Why?

Reply to
ARW

If you are serious for long life, red cedar would be a better choice.

"tanalised" today is not what "tanalised" 20 years ago was, mostly because they cannot pump the wood full or copper/arsenic compounds now.

What are the cupboards made of? I'm having some trouble picturing this - though I'm always up for an offbeat idea :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

To cook outdoors? People do, you know :-)

Reply to
David

Thanks for your reply.

Essentially I am building a frame out of 4x2 which will support the granite. On the front I am putting doors made out of cedar to make cupboards. There are plastic legs between the frame and the concrete floor so the timber won't be on the floor.

Hope that helps?

Reply to
lee

OK - I get it...