Outside wiring question

Hi All,

As part of the outdoor "kitchen", I have an outside socket which is run fro m the house using armoured cable. The problem is, that the armoured cable is too short :(

I can position the current outdoor socket in one of the cupboards but I was wondering what cable I needed to have to run from the socket to a place ab ove the worktop? Also, do I need to run it in some plastic/ metal conduit? In theory, the wire would run inside the cupboard until it gets to where th e socket needs to be then channelled up behind the worktop and up a bit abo ve the worktop.

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

Still having tourble picturing this - can you sketch it and post a camphone photo on tinypic or something?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I will see if I can sketch something.

Essentially it is like a run of kitchen units made out of timber with cedar doors. The outside socket is connected to armoured cable but will only reach just below worktop height. I need to somehow run cable from this socket to above the work surface.

Does that help at all?

Reply to
lee

In message , snipped-for-privacy@nowell.me writes

NYY-J/Hituf:

Or just some outdoor suitable flex?

Reply to
Chris French

Sounds like it would be wise to make it all waterproof, irrespective of whether water *should* be there or not. Sod law and all that...

Joint the SAW (armoured) cable to suitable flex (I'm thinking HiTuf) or T+E but with flat glands:

You can use a water resistant plastic box to joint the SWA (make sure the armour is actually earthed at at least the head end even if using 3 core cable and preferably bonded to the 3rd core at both ends - if 2 core, you are using the armour as your earth).

Watch plastic though - it might be as well to use a pirhana nut to make the connection to the armour as plastic has give which can make a compression joint to the earth banjo a bit unreliable.

Or use a metal box like a pratley box:

All very solid.

I assume you'll be using MK external sockets or similar?

And of course RCD protection at the supply end?

There are a lot of different and good ways to do this - I expect there'll be more suggestions.

Question - what route is the SWA taking to this furniture?

Reply to
Tim Watts

"SWA"

Reply to