Creosote versus Creosote substitute

Over the past couple of weekends I built a pergola/gazebo/arbour [exactly what it is called is a matter of family debate] over our garden patio. Very satisfying.

Last night I treated it with Wickes "Creosote Substitute".

Is it as effective as genuine creosote? It certainly does not seem to penetrate (soak in) as well and is utterly unpleasant stuff....

Should I expect substitute creosote to last as long as the "real McCoy"?

Reply to
Vortex2

I used some creosote substitute from B&Q and it seemed exactly the same as I remembered creosote, and had that evocotive "old shed, school caretaker, cricket ground, telegraph pole" smell. Did not soak in instantly in all areas, but I was using planed timber, so that is not surprising. I had done a frame over the top of a back garden gate, and when I looked at the top of it out of the upstairs window the other day (4 months later) it had lightened in colour a bit, and I thought I need to redo it. Not sure it creosote would be more resilient. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I built a pergola/gazebo/arbour to cover our largish gas barbeque, so you can cook in the rain.

Daughter christened it a gazebq.

From Wikipedia;

Gazebos are freestanding, or attached to a garden wall, roofed, and open on all sides; they provide shade, basic shelter, ornamental features in a landscape, and a place to rest.

A pergola is a garden feature forming a shaded walk or passageway of pillars that support cross beams and a sturdy open lattice, upon which woody vines are trained.

And this from elsewhere;

Arbours are covered, sheltered spaces that often contain a seat. Differing from pergolas as they usually have just one open side, arbours are also not part of a garden through route.

So know we know :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I like that word.

My problem is not solved.

The structure is freestanding, open all sides but does not have a roof. Therefore not a gazebo.

It is not linear (it is hexagonal) therefore not a pergola.

Fully open, and therefore not a arbour.

A new name is therefore needed....but for now I personally believe it is more gazebo-ish than anything else.

ps. pix here (pre-treatment) if you're curious:

Vortex2

messagenews:Ivhhk.30984$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.virginmedia.com...

It would be useful to have a cover you can put on for rainy days, wet barbecues etc. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It has a path going in & out, and it provides shade. Cross beams, sturdy open lattice?

Nice bit of joinery BTW, that central part of the roof must have been a bugger!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In due course I envisage roofing 2 segments for a nominal barbie/eating/drinking shelter.

Beta-testing is scheduled to occur next weekend, but I think the smell of creosote could affect the bouquet of my target 5 litre can of Lowenbrau.

Hopefullly over a few years we'll get good plant coverage. That's not my department though.

Reply to
Vortex2

£100 worth of 4 x 2 and a couple of boxes of Spax screws, and it kept me off the streets for a couple of weekends.

The central hub thingy was a bugger (took 2 attempts to get the angles right).

It's pretty stiff but I'm probably going to need to upgrade the bracing at the corners to make it a little more rigid. You see the posts are not buried in the ground, merely located on rebar stakes that stick up 6-8 inches inside.

Reply to
Vortex2

you feel the need to use creosote? For colour use a normal wood stain as the timber has already been treated for rot...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Too late. It's done. I just was not expecting the creosote substitute to be unpleasant to use.

Also "belt and braces" I wanted to make sure the cut surfaces were properly treated, especially at the top apex.

If I was to make another one (not likely in reality) I'd stain/treat all the timber on the ground before assembly. It would have been much less hassle. That was my key error.

Reply to
Vortex2

A Hexebo?

Reply to