creosote

20l drum of creosote had hard lumos in the bottom and lots of sludge. Is this any where in the region of normal ?
Reply to
fred

Normal. You mean posting stuff like this on a newsgroup?

Reply to
Scott

Funnily enough, i was going ask a similar question a couple of weeks ago, but decided it wasn't worth it.

My question was going to be: what exactly are the rocky sediments deposited in an old-ish 20l drum of creosote? I can hear them swilling around, but there's no way they'll come out for me to have a look.

In the end, I decided I was just being curious: I still slapped on the creosote, in the knowledge that it is probably missing something.

(BTW: this is indeed real, genuine, creosote.)

J.

Reply to
Another John

Well I had to go back for a second 20l and the operator said that yes, it does settle out, so that might be an explanation. I will try mixing the old sludge into the new 20 l and see how it goes.

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

I've had similar problems with stuff claimed to be authentic.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Tim, why do you say 'claimed to be authentic'? I'm fairly certain what I go t was authentic as it was supplied by a company who manufacture pressure tr eated wood products including post and rail fencing for horses who apparent ly wil not chew wood treated with creosote and also telegraph poles etc. It certainly has the right persistant pong.

Did you think the product with which yoo had the peoblem with slidge was no t authentic ?

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

In a word... yes.

Genuine creosote has been unobtainable though my usual trade sources for some time.

Last year I needed to repair some post and rail fencing and managed to find an on-line supplier. Genuine traditional coal tar creosote according to the blurb. I opted for dark brown.

The product was clearly an imitation: wrong smell, colouring sedimented out, gelled after a few weeks storage. Could still be used provided the container was given a vigorous shake every few minutes during application.

Whether it is as effective remains to be seen. I expect it meets whatever regulations got the real stuff taken off the market.

Reply to
Tim Lamb