Fixing my Dashcam

After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38 decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

tim

Reply to
tim...

Should've thought about that before buying it.

Reply to
Richard

Stick it on when the car and windscreen are nice and warm after a run.

Out of your eyeline and high, left of the mirror and in a swept area is the most usual place. Run the lead up the pillar tucked behind the cover.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Lol. Seems these things (from what I've noticed on Techmoan) universally use 3M VHB tape. From the following you should be OK, maybe heat up the car inside hot with the AC to get rid of moisture?

"Temperature: Ideal application temperature range is 70°F to 100°F (21°C to 38°C). Pressure sensitive adhesives use viscous flow to achieve substrate contact area. Minimum suggested application temperatures: ? 50°F (10°C):

3M? VHB? Tapes 5952 and RP families. ? 60°F (15°C): 3M? VHB? Tape 4941 family. Note: Initial tape application to surfaces at temperatures below these suggested minimums is not recommended because the adhesive becomes too firm to adhere readily. However, once properly applied, low temperature holding is generally satisfactory.

Depends on the size, ease of wiring, access to the memory card, look from the outside, screen visbility etc...

If I had an excuse for one, I'd mount it behind the driving mirror - and probably I'd buy a second one for the back ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Simon Mason

That sounds like some grass fertiliser my Dad bought many years ago, which was supposed to be applied 5 hours after the previous, and 5 hours before the next, rainfall.

Reply to
Davey

In message , MrCheerful writes

My very cheapo ones are now relegated to security uses in various places because of the difficulty of getting the memory card out without taking the camera down. I went upmarket to my ?10 current one, which looks like the many called "GT300", but admits to no name anywhere. It sits LHS behind the mirror and I had to extend the cable to reach all the way round the screen and across. It works really well apart from the scratched and pitted windscreen sparkling in some sun positions, and the SD card is easy to get out. I've ordered a much more expensive model for the other car and will mount it in a similar place.

Reply to
Bill

In message , Simon Mason writes

Isn't that a totally illegal and dangerous position?

Reply to
Bill

No.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Why!

tim

Reply to
tim...

If you mean the side pillar, the lead's a good metre short for that

Reply to
tim...

where did I say I bought a cheapo one :-(

Reply to
tim...

Do you have so many prangs you have to keep removing the SD card?

The only reason I remove mine is to confirm the unit still records.

Reply to
Fredxxx

In message , Fredxxx writes

No, but I've been trying to make a video of areas of interest to swap with a contact in the USA. The next step is to get more up to speed with video editing.

And in the last 2 weeks we have arrived at the scene of 3 accidents before the police/ambulance were there. Luckily others were there before us. Two of them were cars into the same traffic light pole. I was very impressed by how soon the man was at the side of the road with his head in the cabinet getting the lights going again.

Reply to
Bill

Only when the car is in use.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yes, make sure it's in a part of the screen that the wipers keep clear of water.

Check that it doesn't obscure any modern gadgetry. We have a Honda CRV with auto high/dip beam. After installing the camera, immediately to the right of the mirror housing, we found that the auto dip/beam wasn't working. Then I checked and found that the housing contains a camera that looks for the presence of oncoming headlights - and the dashcam was obscuring its view :-) Changing the dashcam to the corresponding position on the other side of the housing cured that one.

Sadly on my Peugeot 308 the best out-of-the eyeline position is not swept by the wipers, and I'd need to put the camera surprisingly low on the screen if it is to go near the mirror, to get it in a swept area.

Lower down near where the tax disc used to go is out of eyeline and is usually in a swept area, but the bonnet can obscure the road close to the car.

Reply to
NY

Dunno. Maybe the supplied lead might be too short...

Reply to
Richard

You mean you have to glue it to the window? I guess the heater on for a while might be OK but does anything ever stick to an older bit of glass successfully? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It seems that you do :-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

I was simply enquiring about the best place to put it for actually getting the best picture (from other people's experiences)

I realise that I can hold it in place to see, but given that it's finally stuck on with glue, rather than a rubber sucker, I can only do that with it parked in the car park, not trial and error in actual use

I might try and see if I can temporarily hold it in place with sticky tape!

It's long enough to reach the plug from anywhere on the screen. Whether that is draped across the windscreen or not, is another matter. But as long as it's in the space to the left of my mirror I doubt it will cause anything more than a minor distraction (though I guess I'll have to remove the lead for my MOT test).

tim

Reply to
tim...