Fixing my Dashcam

You will be surprised at how annoying that lead will be, I put up with it for one journey before rearranging things.

Reply to
MrCheerful

That's all very well for the initial application,

but the adhesive takes 24 hours to cure

I might manage to heat the car up to 20 degrees inside for the actual application, but a few hours later the overnight frost is going to take it back down to 0 degrees.

How does that affect the result?

(and no, I don't have a garage I can keep the car in overnight, nor do I know anybody who has one - that isn't permanently full of junk)

I'm fast coming round to the conclusion that I really am going to have to stick it on temporarily some other way, until July :-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

It's a sticky pad - so as long as the glass is degreased (use some alcohol and rub well, then dry and warm the glass as suggested) it's fine.

Reply to
Tim Watts

For a quick DIY job, tuck it just under the headlining trim.

After that, the classic routing method is down the A pillar, but some people (me included to be honest) are scared to take that off, with the air bags and all. However, if you have a look around YouTube there are some good vids. The classic method seems to be run it just over the top of the A pillar then shove it in the door seal, then out at knee height to it can be clipped under the console.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yuk, wander over to Amazon/eBay and get a suction to windscreen/magnet to device mount (normally sold for smart phones). Means mount is easy to remove/reposition and so is the device when you want to bring it inside to download a video file of something interesting.

If I ever get another dashcam it'll have WiFi so I can connect to it without having to remove it or take the card out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

IME most sticky pads are useless when the screen heats up with the sun\b ob it. I used a glue from Amazon which so far is working.

Reply to
Capitol

You really are tempting me to tell you ;-) At leat the temprature would eb about right.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's not going to work

there is nothing on the cam that the magnet will stick to

what I need is a suction cup to flat surface that I can stick the cam mount to (and meet the temp requirements by doing the adhesion bit inside)

tim

Reply to
tim...

OK, seems I can buy one of these:

sorted (I hope)

Reply to
tim...

En el artículo , tim... escribió:

I had to refit a rear-view mirror in my car last year. In winter. Instructions similar to yours - works best fitted in warm conditions.

Ran a fan heater in the cabin for half an hour and had a helper train a hairdryer on the mounting spot, then ran the heater on low power for another hour while the glue cured.

It's still there.

You must make sure the glass is completely spotless and grease-free with any traces of old glue removed, and don't use a cleaner that leaves a residue (e.g. meths)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The difference is:

I almost never ever touch my mirror once it is correctly aligned

I am likely to be continually fiddling with a dashcam and therefore repeatedly putting strain on the mount

tim

Reply to
tim...

phones).

Most smart phones or sat navs aren't magenetic either. These things come(*) with thin self adhesive magnetic plates to stick on the device.

(*) Or at least mine did, they have to really.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If there's any there to tempt you, you could always drink it...

Reply to
Davey