Creosote substitute?

I have a fence which was creosoted a few years ago, and is in need of another coat. ISTR that you can't buy creosote any more because it is deemed to be a danger to health.

Can anyone recommend a substitute which I can use on top of existing creosote, and which will liven up my fence - in terms both of protecting the wood and restoring its dark bown colour?

TIA.

Reply to
Set Square

Yes, creosote substitute!

Wickes do it, I'm sure all the other DIY stores will as well.

Reply to
Nige

You can use the substitute, allegedly non-carcinogenic Creocote, or alternatively Cuprinol solvent based preservatives are pretty good . They do a dark brown.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

ISTR it is still available in 'commercial' quantities (25L ?)

I always bought it in this size anyway as it was so much cheaper and it doesn't deteriorate, AFAIK, over time. (Probably improves).

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hall.nospam says... snip

I too find the Cuprinol products very effective. A small Versailles planter I made from scrap softwood over 10 years ago is still sound, having had its feet soaked in Cuprinol, and the body coated in it, before being primed and painted with white gloss.

Still prefer creosote for the fences though.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

In article , Paul Mc Cann writes

So it can still be used on fences etc.

Reply to
zaax

You can't buy creosote on the DIY market - i.e. in the DIY stores. It may be possible to buy it "industrially", but that would mean 25 litres plus probably.

You can buy the substitute, Creocote.

Otherwise, look for solvent based preservatives. The water based ones are OK to a point but do not seem to last as long before recoating is needed. That's why I prefer to buy something like Cuprinol. It does cost more but I am pretty sure that the cost/lifetime comparison works out in its favour before considering the time saved in not having to recoat so frequently.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

50/50 engine oil plus paraffin or diesel. Its been done for a long time with used oil, which is dark coloured, but there have been concerns expressed about the possibility of toxins in it. New oil is only 2.50 a gallon. Very effective btw.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Yes. Creosote substitute (looks like creosote, smells like it too). Don't use anything that coats the timber like paint ("shed and fence treatment" etc).

New oil =A32.5/gallon! Wow! I wouldn't put it in my car, so it might be better on the fence! I don't like oil treatment for timber in domestic situations, myself, because the smell makes me queasy. Good way of getting rid of old oil (which can also be sent for recycling, perhaps that's where the =A32.5/gallon oil is from? :)

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Yes it is, it says so on the container.

The oil itself doesnt smell, but the paraffin does a bit, though it soon goes. If thats an issue, diesel also works in place of paraffin. Just dont be stupid with it, it is flammable. Very flammable.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton