Grass Clippings As Mulch

We finally got a break in the rain for a few days so I mowed the lawn. I raked up the clippings and filled the lawn tractor trailer, about 24 cubic feet; I had to tamp down the clippings a few times to fit it all in.

My wife uses the clippings as mulch on her vegetable and flower gardens. She says that after a rain or two, the clippings all mat down and keep the weeds from taking over.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

  Unless the grasses have gone to seed ... in which case you just planted it in the richest soil around . Ya know , it always gets me that people go to great lengths to make the soil rich so their garden does well - then wonder why the weeds do well too ! I use straw as a mulch , it also mats down . But any seeds in the straw are annuals rather than perennial grasses .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

sure, almost any organic material can be used as a mulch which eventually gets broken down and turned into humus. the longer term issue is the number of weed seeds that the mulch introduces into a garden space and how easy it is to control the weeds if they manage to sprout and grow.

we have enough issues with weeds as it is, i sure don't need to spread certain ones of those any further especially when i spend time trying to eliminate or reducing them. an uncleaned mower can spread things far and wide...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I raked up the clippings and filled the lawn tractor trailer, about 24 cubi c feet; I had to tamp down the clippings a few times to fit it all in.

. She says that after a rain or two, the clippings all mat down and keep th e weeds from taking over.

My wife thought that was a great comment about people enriching the soil an d wondering why the weeds grow there.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Numerous mushroom houses around here and mushroom soil is cheap and a good soil amendment. It is the compost that comes out of a mushroom house after the fungi have depleted it. Nice stuff but full of residual weed seeds.

Reply to
Frank