Garden Corn

We've been having corn-on-the-cob from our garden recently, very unusual fo r mid-June, but we've had a very warm and early spring this year. My wife s tarted the seeds in the greenhouse, moved the trays to the cold frame to ha rden, then planted them out in the garden.

She makes a series of small corn beds, about 3' by 10', planted a few weeks apart, so that we can keep up with them as they ripen.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Hi Paul,

Awesome.

I tried to grow corn several times before I got diagnosed with Diabetes (corn is one of the causes) to no avail.

The kernels were infested with earwigs every time I tried. I remember spraying the kernels with chrysanthemum spray and having the kernel erupt with earwigs like a kid's volcano science project.

Death to Earwigs!

-T

l for mid-June, but we've had a very warm and early spring this year. My wi fe started the seeds in the greenhouse, moved the trays to the cold frame t o harden, then planted them out in the garden.

eeks apart, so that we can keep up with them as they ripen.

We don't have earwigs but every few years the racoons discover the corn and eat it before we can harvest it.

Reply to
Pavel314

  This is my first try at growing corn out here in the woods . Raccoons are about my biggest worry ... I THINK my electric/chicken wire fence system will discourage them , but only time will tell . It's been working pretty good for the other SFA's (small furry animals) , even up to deer and the local bears .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

I've been lucky (in general, not corn-wise) that the racoons either don't notice the garden, don't think the fence is worth the effort, or are sumply stuffed after digging throuhh the compost pile.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

Pavel314 wrote: ...

we don't eat enough of it to bother growing it but also for the reason you state. without a good electric fence growing corn here is pointless unless you wish to grow feed for the raccoons.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Drew Lawson wrote: ...

they are frequent visitors here at night. can usually hear them wandering around and sometimes fighting/f*ing. will even have them sometimes climbing up the screens on the patio doors (the young ones playing around/exploring). often they also raid various bird nests for eggs and babies.

songbird

Reply to
songbird