How far apart I should grow corn seeds

What is the spacing for growing corn? I read any where from 1 to 3 feet but I think that's too far. Would 6 to 8 inches be ok? This way they can be pollinated. Thank you

Reply to
Joseph A. Zupko

il Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:48:12 GMT, "Joseph A. Zupko" ha scritto:

They are heavy feeders, so need space for feeding, and if you want to weed you need space for the hoe without fear of slicing them off at the ankles, and if you want to pick them, as I found out, too close and your'e trying not to break the ones you brush past. Since corn can pollinate half a kilometer away I don't think you need to worry about spacing. Just have them in rows along the prevailing wind. :-)

Too close and they will be smaller. Oh and they also like water so too close and they'll be competing for the water.

Reply to
Loki

FWIW - I read Bob Bartholemuew's (sp?) square foot garden book. He/I planted a hill of three plants. This helps them during the T-storms and hail of June. I have had too much knocked down corn in the past.

As far as pollination, when the silks form I go out early in the morning with a brown paper bag. I collect the pollen from all the tasles, mix and then go back and hand pollinate the silks. I don't touch the polline and here in NC ants are my worst enimy.

BTW- Bob Bartholemuew can be found through older PBS shows.

Good Luck.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Watts

You'll do better if you search for 'Mel Bartholomew' however. His own website is at

.

If you read his book 'Square Foot Gardening' be sure to check the website for some updated, changed advice - one item of which makes a substantial difference and makes initial preparation of growing beds very much easier than his earlier recommendations.

Pat

Reply to
pat

Thank you Pat. I'll check that site.