Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Recommendation of household help
Hello everyone, I have been investigating several home service companies. Can anyone tell me if they subscribe to one of the following or has tried them before? Is it a good experience? Thanks in...

Husband just said our sump pump "container" has cracks so how do we repair that?
Sump pump quit and flooded the basement
1
1

furnishing a living room with pallets
what do you think? #FURNITURE #LIVINGROOM #PALLET Salve a tutti vedremo delle idee su come arredare il nostro salotto di casa con le pedane... come dice il video in modo veloce, facile, e soprattutto...
5
5

House rewire
good morning i am about to undertake rewiring my 1930's edwardian semi as i am on a very limited budget. i intend to contract an appropriately qualified electrician to make cu connections, testing and...
3
3

Double Trouble: Fixing the Interfered Oven Control in a Die Dietrich Stove (2023 Update)
I have a Die Dietrich which I've had for years. I have turned on my main oven today, and the smaller right hand side oven (with the rotisserie) came on too, and is now coming on every time I switch on...
1
1

Solving the Mystery of a Non-Working Storage Heater (2023 Update)
I have a storage heater with four elements. It won't heat up. I see one ele ment is burnt out. However, the elements appear to be wired in parallel - a s I would have expected - which begs the...
1
1

Speed awaress course
I'm told that you can have only one speed awareness course, but I have friend who reckons she's been on several. Can this be so?
7
7

Need help to remove a table lamp socket
My brand new lamp doesn't come with a harp base (saddle). To use my vintage shade (spider fitter), I bought a harp with a saddle and began disassembling my lamp for the installation. The socket top...
3
3

Small air valve
Anyone know where I might get a small one way air valve about the size of a hearing aid battery? It's to go into the hole in my strimmer fuel tank cap , which has fallen out and got lost. The caps are...
3
3

Installing free standing cooker
The council have revamped our kitchen, but have moved the cooker that was near our sink 2 foot away from our living room stating that new e.u reg states cookers are not aloud near sinks is this...
1
1

Choosing the Right LED Driver for Your LED Lights: Tips and Troubleshooting (2023 Update)
Hi, I have just replaced eight halogen lights in my kitchen with Philips 8W Dimmable LED units 8718696492307. They are working pretty well with the old halogen transformers but I would like to use a...
1
1

Wood flaking around knot in floorboard
I varnished the floorboards in one of the rooms in my house but in some places the wood around the knot is lifting and flaking away where a comuter chair runs over it. The floorboards have been down...
4
4

Dishwasher detergent not opeing
My dishwasher ends up its programme with the detergent capsule still in its plastic wrapper. Is this because the heater is not working? If not, what's the likely cause?
2
2

20m garden shed
I want to build a 20m garden shed. The soil is clay. I'm thinking building it as a temporary structure 1m away from any other walls and fences and less than 1 storey to avoid any planning permission....
2
2

Cold Air Return Filter
I was feeling energetic spring cleaning last weekend and removed the cold air grate from the wall and gave it a good scrubbing in the tub. Before I replaced it, I looked in and there were massive...
1
1