Power Tools for the Home

I'm going to be doing some work around our new home, and thought it best to invest in some proper tools. I was looking at power drills, and I really think I'll ned one with the support handle like this one

this one is well out of my budget. I was hoping anyone would be able to recommend a similar drill for a lesser price that will still be reliable.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Smith

I've cross-posted this to the newsgroup uk.d-i-y, where you may get better advice. OTOH you might get something to do with Brexit instead...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Thanks for that - gave me a good laugh.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you only have one drill it has to be SDS. Crazy to not have SDS.

What use would a battery drill be without mains to charge it up? In any case a builder would use a genny, then get the mains on as the first priority.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I have a charger for my battery drill which runs off a car battery. Standard Ryobi accessory.

Reply to
charles

SDS??

Reply to
mechanic

Electrically powered drills that use internal pneumatics to give them extra hammering power. Once you've used an SDS to drill holes in hard bricks you'll never want to go back to an ordinary hammer drill.

SDS use a special chuck with bayonet sort of bits. Most can be set not to rotate so you can use chisels as well as drills in them.

Reply to
Chris Green

SDS drill.

Reply to
Tim Watts

:P

Reply to
Vir Campestris

More to the point:

and

Theo

If you are looking to buy a power drill, you could get one which I'm using - TACKLIFE SDS-Plus Rotary Hammer Drill. I've been using this for 3+ years and it's worth every penny. I bought this from Amazon for $110.

Reply to
Melissa Wayne

The question was asked before you bought your drill.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris