Power Tools for the Home

I'm going to be doing some work around our new home, and thought it best to invest in some proper tools. I was looking at power drills, and I really think I'll ned one with the support handle like this one

this one is well out of my budget. I was hoping anyone would be able to recommend a similar drill for a lesser price that will still be reliable.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Smith

> However, this one is well out of my budget. I was hoping anyone would be > able

I've cross-posted this to the newsgroup uk.d-i-y, where you may get better advice. OTOH you might get something to do with Brexit instead...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Fucking stupid price. Why do you think you need a handle? You can still apply two hands to a battery drill without one. If you need to apply that much pressure (say for drilling a lot of hard brick/block or stone), you will probably be better off with a mains drill like this (unless you don't have mains)

decent battery drills, look at Makita or De Walt.

When you say "doing some work", what do you mean anyway? And how much? If you are just "doing" one house, then Aldi/Lidl or Screwfix / Toolstation / Wickes brands might be sufficient.

Will you need SDS? For my (limited) use a mains SDS is fine. If you are doing a lot of renovation in an old property without electricity, a builder would want a battery one, which is obviously relatively expensive.

If you are doing much joinery, I would personally not be without an impact screwdriver. You will get a decent impact driver plus a combi drill and two or three batteries, and a budget mains SDS for half the Metabo price.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks for that - gave me a good laugh.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you only have one drill it has to be SDS. Crazy to not have SDS.

What use would a battery drill be without mains to charge it up? In any case a builder would use a genny, then get the mains on as the first priority.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I have a charger for my battery drill which runs off a car battery. Standard Ryobi accessory.

Reply to
charles

With a 12v drill you could skip the charger. Never seen it done though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

SDS??

Reply to
mechanic

Electrically powered drills that use internal pneumatics to give them extra hammering power. Once you've used an SDS to drill holes in hard bricks you'll never want to go back to an ordinary hammer drill.

SDS use a special chuck with bayonet sort of bits. Most can be set not to rotate so you can use chisels as well as drills in them.

Reply to
Chris Green

There are no pneumatics in an SDS drill. The hammer action is driven by a crank.

~In small drills, the hammer action is by means of a "chatter plate". They soon wear, unlike the crank..

harry

SDS drill.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I thought the crank drives a piston in a chamber. At the other end of the chamber is a slave piston that hits the drill. (Hence, pneumatic.) I don't know if that's for all SDS drills or just the big jobbies?

I'm fairly sure that my Hitachi SDS drill (the one that barely gets used and will be passed down as an heirloom when I die) is pneumatic. That's a 2 or 3Kg one, so not really a big jobby at all.

Reply to
GB

:P

Reply to