Need advice getting started

My family just closed on a home. This is the first home we have ever owned. This is an older home and much larger than any home i have ever lived in. Now that we are sleeping here, it seems like there are thousands of little things that need fixed/modified. Part of the problem is we are low income. We would be lucky if we could put $500/month toward home maintenance. I have a little experience with a lot of different fields, construction, plumbing, electrician. I do not have enough experience to be certified in any of them, but I know the difference between a hammer and a putty knife. Except for the larger projects, I will be the one doing all the handyman work. The other part of the problem is knowing where to start. It would b e great if someone could help me prioritize them, or just offer advice and point me in the direction I should be headed. Here are some of the issues I want to look at, at some point.

The heater works, yet it always seem cold around the house. The water works hot&cold, but the pressure is a little low. There is literally ONE plug outlet in each room. I'd like at least 3. None of the lights use a standard bulb socket, they are all smaller funky bulbs. Half of them are burnt out. There is no carpet anywhere in the house. Light switches are in rather inconvenient places. The hardwood floors were covered in an ugly brown paint, by unskilled painter no less.

Reply to
Dad2fourgirls

Homeownershub? You poor guy. There are a three things you need to know.

The first thing is that you've connected, via that funny web interface, to usenet. There are much better ways to do it. And you won't get any adverts.

The second thing is that the newsgroup you've connected to is pretty much dead, almost nothing happens here. You'd be better off on uk.d-i-y, assuming you can put of with the British politics and other off topic stuff.

The third thing is that it's a UK newsgroup. Ask about a faucet, and expect a reply about a tap. Ask about electricity, and make sure people realise where you are. There are funny rules over here about working on your own electricity - we have 240V or so, and it's more dangerous. On the other hand this means the currents are half, and we get a lot fewer fires.

The fourth thing - keep the rain and bugs out. That's step one - you've stopped making it worse. My house is 300 years old, and we've been doing a lot of that since we bought it 4 years ago. It looks as though for the last hundred years or so the repairs have been done on the cheap.

The fifth thing ..aaargh.. nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris