Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

Upon universal application of SawStop, the conventional wisdom will be to wear rubber gloves when sawing to prevent the $300 rupture of the moving parts.

Reply to
HeyBub

Nope, the table top was always protected with a good coat of boe-sheild - which APPARENTLY is not an insulator.

Reply to
clare

SawStop turns even an economy saw into a "premium priced" saw.

Reply to
HeyBub

Was the "bypass" option on the first saws, or was it added to later production because of the "false triggering" problem??

Reply to
clare

Glad you qualified your actions with "inanimate." I could just imagine you around babies...

Reply to
HeyBub

It was 2 months before I could wear a work boot, and over six before I had a toe-nail again. Those old 2 stage brass regulators were HEAVY!!!!

Reply to
clare

But what about the inside of the saw? The hidden parts that are coated with a absorbent layer of sawdust sponge would be the real problem. Then again - that's one way to keep the dust down - mist it! ;)

RicodJour

F'N OAK RUUUUUUUUUST!!!!!!!!

Reply to
-MIKE-

Notice the comparative modifier in there? I use my beater saw to cut beater wood. It's the same one I use to cut concrete with a diamond blade if I don't have the cutoff saw. It's an old Makita 5007 that refuses to die no matter how much I torture the poor sucker. The thing hates me with a passion and I reciprocate the sentiment.

So the SawStop - indeed any new saw - won't affect you at all. Got it.

RicodJour

I linked to a price sheet in my earlier post, but the aim there was looking for the lowest price. Dayum, Delter sure is proud of their saws nowadays!

Griz and the majority of the rest, even the Lagunas, are under $2k.

Oh, I see that SawStop finally has a sub-$2k saw on the market. I thought they were all about $3500. I sit corrected.

Um, -now- who's got the bug? ;) BUT, Leon, do you feel that the lawsuit we're discussing here is good and just? Or do you feel as most of us do that it's a farce and a complete miscarriage of justice?

Safer tools are a good concept and I'll likely buy some when I'm ready (read "funded"), but not from SawStop. To say that I dislike Gass' tactics is a major understatement.

P.S: You'd shit if you saw Dina's (my saur) gaper of a top. She's as safe as a square cutterhead. My crosscut sled saves me from it most often.

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A perfectly good saw but it is fair to compare apples to apples, the latest design to the latest design.

Reply to
Leon

It's more fair to compare utility to utility. When I bought my X5, it was a no-brainer, over the SS at over twice the price. Suggesting a SS wasn't even worth the giggle from SWMBO.

Reply to
krw

If you are talking about the dip that cut his finger off and won the $1m, no that was stupid. Nor do I think that the government should say that the SawStop technology should be mandatory. Having said that I still admire and like the SawStop. When it comes to my safety politics and ill feelings don't factor in. If I buy a new saw it will most likely a SawStop.

Well there is where you and I differ. I don't let my emotions keep me from making a sensible decision. Because you are interested you know about the Gass tactics. I assure you, you buy products now that you would feel the same about if you knew the politics involved. Take freon for instance. R12 was perfectly adequate. But DuPont's patent ran out and the new refrigerant that they developed was mandated to be used. Now if you want to talk about percentages of price increase, I used to buy R12, 1,000 cases at a time at about 67 cents per pound. IRC a 30 lb bottle of the r128 sold in the $200.00 range.

The old R12 was supposedly bad for the ozone layer which is still a supposed problem although R12 is all but gone. The refrigerant that replaced R12 was friendlier to the ozone, but more harmful to humans. There were very strict rules and special equipment to contain the new freon even though it was environmentally friendly, except to humans. They did not want any more than necessary any human contact. There were numerous publications concerning that in the automotive trades magazines back in the mid 80's. The SawStop story pails by comparison.

Reply to
Leon

I really did not have the luxury of letting PT wood set for months. I was being paid for these fences. My experience with building fences taught me to buy better materials to start with, namely cedar pickets, I use PT for ground contact, posts, bottom rot rails, and for the 3 rails to attach the pickets to. No warping with 3 rails and the PT rot board on the bottom prevented morning due from wicking up the bottom of the pickets. The rot board also eliminated the need for a string to level the tops of the pickets.

Reply to
Leon

It has always been there, the designer was an avid woodworker so he knew what would be needed. Additionally I inquired about 10 years ago before the saw was available as to whether the stop would engage after the saw motor is turned off, it does.

Reply to
Leon

What theory? Not all operations performed on a TS can be done with factory guards. It is a correct procedure to remove the guard for certain procedures.

Reply to
Leon

That is why you would disable the safety feature???

And as far as whether you consider it a premium priced saw or not, I don't think it does. That is strictly a personal preference call. If you don't want to spend the money, buy a used saw or buy the saw you want now in the event that this is required in the future. Or wait and see.

Reply to
Leon

Consider the fact that you CAN touch the spinning blade and set off the trigger and you can touch the spinning blade with out harm on regular saw. If you touch the mid side of the blade there are no teeth. There are no guarantees either way but it is in Sawstops best interest to assist in questionable incidents but not take full responsibility. Personally I don't know if they have replaced the blades in the past or not but the early owners that were having false triggers were happily reporting the participating by Sawstop to remedy the situation. They seemed content with the steps taken by Sawstop.

Until you own the product you really can't piss and moan about what might or might not be a fact about their customer service after the sale. By all indicators that I have read a vast majority of the owners are more than satisfied.

Reply to
Leon

IIRC the X5's were selling at an all time low price. Not saying that they were not good saws, just that they were probably below market price. Either way the latest version is in line with the price of a SS considering that it has no blade stop feature.

Reply to
Leon

By all reports, the current Unisaur isn't selling so well, either. There are others.

Reply to
krw