Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

"frozen north"??

It was beach weather here for Thanksgiving. Ask some USanians how warm it is during their Thanksgiving.

------------ "Dave Balderstone" wrote in message news:101020111703397390%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca... Up here in the frozen north it appears that anyone teaching, especially kids, goes for the SS. Individuals do not.

Reply to
Josepi

So, it doesn't work on moisture as some pretend it to be. I believe they claim it to be a capacitive sensing.

It would trigger on wood that is too wet and many other situations until it is desensitized so much, to make it reliable against false triggers, that is will not trigger on human flesh in a real situation anyway.

At this point I am happy with my old Delta.

Reply to
Josepi

Exactly and "right on the money"!

This is the real quest for safety in the end.

What's the cost of the follow-up medical care including the physical therapy?

My guess is $5,000 doesn't begin to cover the costs.

Depending on your medical coverage, the co-pay on $5K could cover the cost of several SawStops.

Lew

Reply to
Josepi

Josepi wrote the following:

Here in NY, we are on our second day of 80º+ F weather. Tomorrow is the last day with those temps. For the next 7 days after tomorrow, it will be in the 60s and 70s. Global warming, I love it. Tomorrow, I think I will just pull the cat converter off my truck, start it up and let it idle all day long. (just kidding. Gas is too expensive)

Reply to
willshak

Both.

Reply to
krw

No! You can still easily cut yourself with a sliding table. The point of the SawStop is to prevent an accident when you do something stupid. A sled does not prevent you from doing something stupid.

Reply to
Leon

I think I will stop responding to yo now because regardless of what I have to say, white, you say black, yes, you say no, stop, you say go. You just want to argue, I simply want op state my point of view. And you may do the same however your point of view changes seems to change to be contrary.

Reply to
Leon

You forgetting about high manufacturing costs to do business here? It's not just the taxes.

Reply to
Leon

Rumour has it that there's a key to prevent false positives whilst=20 sawing wet wood.

...and there are reported power fluctuations that trip the mechanism.

Reply to
phorbin

High wages (especially managerial) and perks (paid healthcare, month of vacation, weeks of sick leave, etc.) skew the figures horribly, too, especially if unions are involved.

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There's a button. Clipping wires won't replicate its function.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well it is unfortunate but there are many in the US that are simply paid wildly beyond what they bring to the table. This particular recession is not too much unlike a stock market correction. I believe that with few exceptions that most of those over paid workers are finding out what they are really worth in a world economy. For those that have taken care of business, not tried to stay ahead of the Jones's and realistically lived within their means the current economic situation has been a great opportunity.

Reply to
Leon

Er, not exactly. Last year, BMW built 110,000 cars in its Spartanburg, S.C. plant and EXPORTED them. Toyota builds cars in Tennessee and ships them to Japan!

Our manufacturing costs are not necessarily greater than foreign plants because we use so much more automation in some industries.

Like automobiles.

Shoes, not so much.

Reply to
HeyBub

Then don't! When people disagree on the axioms (in this case, the fundamentals of society) you can't expect them to agree on the results, even if the logic in between is faultless.

A damned lie. My POV has NOT changed. What SS is doing, WRT forcing their monopoly, is *evil*.

Reply to
krw

A table saw sled encourages you to keep your fingers away from the blade - and still make the desired cut.

But you may be right. I suspect the majority of injuries occur when ripping a (narrow) board. Sleds don't work for squat when ripping.

Reply to
HeyBub

Depends on WHOSE needs one wishes to meet.

Unsafe or careless users of saws ... Woodsaw manufacturers who don't have any technology that could replace Gass's patent,.... Gass and Sawstop ... Institutions with responsibility-for-people issues (schools, insurers)... Folk who have good safety habits and see no problems...

So, whose needs are most vital in the minds of CPSC? I'm thinking that 'unsafe or careless users' demand most of their attention. That's because they look at consumer safety, naturally. Twisted boards, loose knots, guards removed and 'too fiddly' to replace... there's lots of learning to do before one is ready to use a tablesaw safely.

The statistics that guide CPSC are all about the folk who learn the hard way. I know and love some of those kind of people: think of the children.

Reply to
whit3rd

You might be surprised how many injuries happen when not even cutting wood... I know I was. ;~(

Reply to
Leon

those are particular examples that the unions don't have a strangle hold on the manufacturer. But look at power tools and computer components, and electronics in general.

Reply to
Leon

Consumer electronics, yes. Electronics in general, not as much.

Reply to
krw

Nothing personal in any of my remarks. To wit:

Too many of the fine people here comment from the basis of their own heart/beliefs. This is where you are all so wrong. Law school teaches one to detach from whatever morals you may have/ had. Focus on money. When you lose a case, money is ok, when you win a case, money is better.

THERE IS NO MORAL FOUNDATION IN LEGAL TRAINING.

Reply to
Robatoy