Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

No fair, Dude ... interjecting real experience into an argument based on hypothetical bickering.

For shame ...

Reply to
Swingman

If there's "no need to sell it to the industry" then why is there a need to regulate the industry into buying it?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I think the guards suck, they simply prevent many procedures from being done on a TS with them installed. Kinda tough to cut a board to length that needs to be say 60" long with a guard attached, or cut dado's, cove moldings, 1/4" wide rips, etc.

BUT I think you are spot on with the notion that the manufacturer offers the SawStop option and there can no longer be any law suits against manufacturers in this regard.

Reply to
Leon

No by definition a beater is one that you don't care what happens to it, no great loss if it gets torn up.

Reply to
Leon

What if you are stupid enough to ask such questions???

Reply to
Leon

After beaucoup years, we _finally_ agree on something!

Reply to
Swingman

I'm not a patent lawyer, but don't the major tablesaw manufacturers only have to delay things for 20 years or so until the patents expire?

Reply to
Larry W

I believe it's still 17 years ... but that can be changed by lobby pressure on clowngressman, as they are doing with copyrights.

Reply to
Swingman

Man, that's a scary thought. Funny how Congress can stall for months over a health care or budget bill, but when their high-$$ campaign contributors want to get something done...

Reply to
Larry W

In my brief experience working retail sales of WW equipment, the "public" is not buying Sawstops.

Institutions are buying Sawstops, to reduce their liability exposure.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Sorta kinda. Gass is a patent lawyer--he knows the tricks--when the intial patent expires he can patent some minor "improvement" that if worded carefully enough can still give him control.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Guards are easily sidestepped, too. Place your hand in the saw's path and it will slide right under the guard. And you're right about the splitters stopping dadoing, coves, rabbets, and the like. Preferred are the top-mounted guards with dust collection and rip guides in the zero-clearance inserts. Both are easily removed and installed so it takes just a minute extra to set up for your specialty cuts.

Hah! What an optimist. While it means they shouldn't continue, you'd better believe that the lawsuits will not stop. Slow, maybe, but stop? No way. There are far too many ambulance-chasing speaking weasels and stupid, greedy people out there.

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Negotiations failed (supposedly over a typo) and he lost them as clients. Why would he be mad? Go figure. My guess is that they had premature buyer's remorse since he failed to cover liability issues.

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nobody needs to sell it to the industry.

The medical insurance industry wants to cut their losses and your upcoming tax dollars to pay for idiots that operate TSs carelessly and a government issued "TS Operator's permit"

Welcome to free Government Health Care!

Shall we apply the same talk about the idiots that fight in wars and should be responsible for their own injuries?

Reply to
m II

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spencer, 1891

Reply to
Max

No, it's 20 years from date of patent filing with the USPTO. It used to be 17 years from date of issue, but it was changed some 20ish years ago to fight "submarine" patents. ...a good thing.

Reply to
krw

Unless that "minor" improvement is required to make the unit work (for some, perhaps, redefined value of "work"), the improvement doesn't extend the patent. He could always buy another congresscritter to help redefine "work", however.

Reply to
krw

Using that logic, you can restrict freedom in any way you want. Some people get hurt by guns, knives, and even baseball bats. No thanks!

So, will SS buy me a new $300 dado set if it misfires? I think I heard I'm outta luck with the $125 blade.

Reply to
krw

No, CONGRESS is why jobs are scattering to the winds. It's just too hard to make things here. ...and getting much worse.

Reply to
krw

Because of our ridiculous tort system.

Reply to