Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

Ever try to cut dampish wood on a saw-stop equipped saw??? Gets real expensive and real difficult real fast.

You can't beat stupid. Make something idiotproof and they just come up with a better idiot, and another dozen lawyers.

Reply to
clare

Everything I've read says it's not a problem. Even so, here's the real issue. Who's cutting soaking wet wood with a table saw anyway? There are too many other concerns for me to be using wet wood before I would even approach a table saw with it. If you're using wood that's wet enough to set off the sawstop, then you deserve to pay the stupid tax.

Reply to
-MIKE-

If those were false positives, then SawStop is the responsible party. But just try to get blood out of a gilded turnip.

-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Look at two great American inventors:

Ben Franklin Lightning rod Bifocals Franklin stove Urinary catheter The odometer

Thomas Edison Electric light Phonograph Motion picture camera 1093 various patents

Ben Franklin put his inventions into the public domain and never charged a penny for anything.

The only thing Edison gave away was the electric chair.

Reply to
HeyBub

Try building a PT privacy fence. A. PT wood is VERY wet B. Many times pickets have to be cut to fit C. The solution, I suppose, is a circular saw.

Reply to
HeyBub

This has been gone over before and you're still spreading disinformation.

From SawStop's FAQ:

  1. Will cutting green or =93wet=94 wood activate the SawStop safety system? SawStop saws cut most wet wood without a problem. However, if the wood is very green or wet (for example, wet enough to spray a mist when cutting), or if the wood is both wet and pressure treated, then the wood may be sufficiently conductive to trigger the brake. Accordingly, the best practice is to dry wet or green wood before cutting by standing it inside and apart from other wood for about one day. You can also cut wet pressure treated wood and other conductive material by placing the saw in bypass mode to deactivate the safety system.

That really doesn't sound too expensive or difficult. Well, other than that someone would be doing their tablesaw a nasty turn by cutting wood that was wet enough to spray. If someone is used to cutting wood that's that wet with their tablesaw, maybe they should invest in a beater saw and not ruin the good one.

Waiting a day (or ten) for wood to dry doesn't seem like a lot to ask, especially when nearly every one on this newsgroup has concurred that you let green wood dry in a stickered pile for a year per inch of thickness. Peter Follansbee might disagree, but he doesn't use any power tools at all so his opinion doesn't count. ;)

RicodJour

I said it "might" be as simple as clipping a couple of wires. Defeating the saw stop may require buying an add-on electronic module or maybe just removing the whole mechanism.

And how does that conversation differ from one that would take place after the owner removes the blade guard/splitter? Removing blade guards is quite common; I've never seen a table saw in use (or for sale on Craigslist) that had it's blade guard in place.

My impression is that neither conversation would take place because the saw owner realizes the cause of the injury is entirely his.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sure - that's possible!

It's also possible that someone could read the manual and then they'd know how to put the SawStop into bypass mode without having to do something stupid.

RicodJour

There's a button for that you know.

Reply to
J. Clarke

But Edison also did not lobby for legislation that required all other forms of light to be replaced with his electric lights--he was content to let the market take its course.

Reply to
J. Clarke

This has been gone over before and you're still spreading disinformation.

From SawStop's FAQ:

  1. Will cutting green or ?wet? wood activate the SawStop safety system? SawStop saws cut most wet wood without a problem. However, if the wood is very green or wet (for example, wet enough to spray a mist when cutting), or if the wood is both wet and pressure treated, then the wood may be sufficiently conductive to trigger the brake. Accordingly, the best practice is to dry wet or green wood before cutting by standing it inside and apart from other wood for about one day. You can also cut wet pressure treated wood and other conductive material by placing the saw in bypass mode to deactivate the safety system.

And after activating the bypass, some one then cuts a finger off . Do they now sue the makers of Sawstop for telling them to turn off a feature that they pushed through to stop that from happening ? Jim

Reply to
Jim Northey

Mistake? We were talking about a false-trip. The "mistake" is the SawStop's.

...or are you talking about the mistake being buying a SawStop? ;-)

Reply to
krw

I'll catch normal things. Not knives, of course.

Reply to
krw

Does not need to be soaking wet. Had one go off at the woodworking club when a guy had wiped down a peice of wood to accentuate the grain so he cood see which side he wanted to be "exposed. He wiped it with a damp rag, put it into the saw, and BANG!!!!!!

Reply to
clare

I used to have a bad habit, as an apprentice mechanic, of sticking my foot out to catch a dropped wrench etc, so it wouldn't skittar way across the floor. One afternoon I went in to change the tanks on the torch in regular shoes and the big two stage brass regulator slipped from my hand.

That cured me of sticking my foot out to catch things!!!!!!

Reply to
clare

I guess you'd have to ask that person, eh?

I was addressing the disinformation about the difficulty about cutting wet wood, not the ability of a person/lawyer to sue over any damned thing at all.

RicodJour

That's funny. I remember doing the same thing - sticking out my foot to break the fall of the inanimate object. I don't recall when I stopped doing that, but I'm sure it was an ouch! moment that did the trick.

RicodJour

Everything I've read on their website and from 3rd party accounts says PT wood isn't a problem unless it's so wet it's spraying a mist when cutting. My questions is who is using a $3000 table saw and $100 blade to build a deck and why?

Again, who's using a table saw for this?

zactly. Why the discussion? :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

That's interesting. That kind of fits in with SawStop's what-I- thought-was odd instructions to let wet wood dry for only a day. I'm guessing that the sensor reads surface moisture only. There's no point in monitoring capacitance/moisture once the blade is halfway through a finger.

Let's keep talking about it, reverse-engineer it, patent the rec.woodworking alternative, and we can all buy our own islands. Or for those who object to making money while doing good, donate your islands to charity. ;)

RicodJour

I am thinking more in lines of, what if whose fault it cannot be proven one way or the other. Perhaps the blade was touched and it was not actually a false trip. It is not uncommon for a manufacturer to give the customer the benefit of the doubt and replace parts but not accessories.

Reply to
Leon