Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 21:30:12 -0700 (PDT), Hoosierpopi

And *that* is the story of the entire North American market with the bulk of it's manufacturing and services contracted somewhere overseas or out of country. Good for the lifestyle of current generations, not so good for soon to be future generations.

Reply to
Dave

Just a minor aside. We bought one of the SawStop machines for another shop . It is underpowered when compared to the same horsepower Delta cabinet saw. By underpowered, I mean that you can easily push material too fast and force the motor to bog and slow - reminiscent of cutting on the typical contractor type saw. I have only used the thing 2 or 3 times and really don't care for the low power. I have suggested to that shop manager that he contact them about the power situation as it seriously compromises the saw's usability in my opinion, he has not seen fit to do so.

They are on stop block number 7 or 8. Yes, there is a switch to prevent this happening in wet wood, etc. Once a hidden nail, once a tin foil backing on some 1/4" MDF, once a fella using an aluminum piece as a push stick (he swears he didn't touch the blade). once cutting pressure treated material (too much moisture). This is right at $100 per block. Yes it does stop the blade and machine RIGHT NOW - it will scare the tar out of ya they tell me.

At this point I am happy with my old Delta.

Reply to
DanG

Reply to
Leon

Really no need to sell it to the industry, SawStop is selling more than it's share of TS's by a wide margin.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly, which gives the consumer the benefit of the doubt when on the numerous occasions SawStop participated in the replacement of the TS parts.

Well you have to make you self feel good about you decisions, every one does. I choose not to predigest my decisions.

Reply to
Leon

That was then, Can you still buy the old style Unisaw?

Agreed.

Reply to
Leon

Be nice Lew. ;~) I was one of those "it won't happen to me" people 20 years ago. Then I learned the hard way and my math skills became much better.

Reply to
Leon

The manufacturer already provides guards and splitters that provide a margin of safety that, If used by the operator, would eliminate 99%+ of all injuries, and has no false triggers that cost hundreds of dollars in one-shot parts and blades each time they occur.

These are the saws that the consumer is buying.

Maybe each new saw sold by anybody should have a Sawstop Brochure and price list attached to it, so it will be plain that the purchaser knew they had an option and they chose otherwise.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

We all pay the stupid tax when some one cuts them selves and uses their/our insurance to pay for the repair. Rates go up,

SS does dado's the same way as it does with a standard blade and with the guard off but it will still stop the dado blades if you touch them.

Reply to
Leon

Cant agree with that statement. The SawStop is not low cost and it is being well supported by the public. The other manufacturers are reluctantly adding safety devices only as a result of the popularity and success of the SawStop. Other manufacturers have had at least 10 years to come up with their own safety devices since the introduction of the SawStop. I bet they were thinking that SawStop would fail and then it would be business as usual. Surprise!

We paid low prices for saws because most of the time a lower price saw from Taiwan was equal to or better than domestic. In a world market you have to be competitive, labor unions and over paid salaries are not your friends.

Reply to
Leon

I take "beater saw" to mean one that will stand up to great abuse. Clearly, that does not include a SawStop model.

All it takes for bad men to triumph is for good men to do nothing. But you and I share a sentiment: You cling to your 5007 to avoid a SawStop while I stockpile current generation models.

Reply to
HeyBub

Rule of systemantic (or why "systems" fight back): Fail-Safe systems often fail by failing to fail safe.

Reply to
HeyBub

Wonder what happens if you're using the saw in a light rain or heavy fog? What if you spill your beer on the work? How does it function if you're using your saw to cut meat?

A hush falls over the crowd...

Reply to
HeyBub

The United States is the world's leading manufacturer. No other country is even close.

"Jobs" are not part of a zero-sum game. Jobs that move overseas do not, in the aggregate, mean fewer jobs here. If anything, jobs that move to, say, China mean MORE jobs are created here than are lost.

Reply to
HeyBub

Right. Appellate courts only rule on matters of law. The trial-court jury determines matters of fact.

Reply to
HeyBub

The sad thing is that those are real questions about real issues for you.

Now if only that hush would fall over your posting.

Replying to your other inane post: Beater often equals appropriate. A beater is the item that you don't care about as much, not that it's crap. I don't own any crap tools, I give them away or donate them to Habitat and they make the choice whether to use them or sell them. My beater Makita has been with me since ~1994. It has been downgraded honorably due to it's long term, slightly annoying service. I still hate it, but it does what it asks and only makes _me_ complain. My beater bicycle is worth more than your 1990 Chrysler soccer mom van, but it's my beater bike and I don't worry as much leaving it locked up somewhere or letting someone borrow it.

You know there's another possibility for you - buy a Festool track saw instead of the SawStop. They're a safer saw with a retractable blade and a riving knife, but I'm sure you'll figure out a way to f*ck up the saw and remove them.

See? There's always hope and there are always alternatives.

RicodJour

No, I would avoid it altogether.

Answer me this: Wouldn't a sliding table result in the same number - or close thereto - of reduced accidents as a SawStop?

How many manufacturers provide a crosscut for their economy saws - even at extra cost?

Here's one for a Delta that costs as much as a SawStop

you can build your own for ten bucks

HeyBub

Note the witl^Hness for the ignorant worker, Dr. Stephen Gass.

Could he be angry that Ryobi didn't follow through with their contract with him?

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Was there ever a contract with them? Angry? Why on earth wpuld he be angry?

Reply to
Leon

If you take China out of the picture.

Reply to