Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

Court:

>>> --

Hence their nickname: speaking weasels.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Court:

>>> --

That's not accurate. There is a whole area of law based on equity, which basically resolves disputes based on what is fair. For example, a contract claim may fail because there was no contract, but an injured party could still recover for unjust enrichment. Or a property claim could fail because of title defects, but the injured party might still have a claim based on equitable title. Or a law-based claim may be successfully defended against on estoppel, laches, and other equitable defenses.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Wonderful sounding, but total BS when, in the practice of law, lawyers routinely abuse the judicial system as part of their business model. :(

Indeed, law schools ingrain the blurring of the distinctions between what is moral, ethical, etc. and what is LEGAL, but immoral, unethical, etc.

27.9% interest is USURY by any _moral_ yardstick/definition ... but is indeed LEGAL, as routinely practiced by banks/credit card companies.

Check your next _unilateral_ contract from your credit card company.

Reply to
Swingman

You've either had a lawsuit go against you and are playing the blame game, or you are just parroting what you've heard others say, or you are personalizing all the "bad lawyer" jokes. Your statement is an emotional response. It is not factually accurate.

I cannot speak for every law school, neither can you. From personal experience, your statement is not true as to the law school I went to.

My credit card rate is about half that. Keep in mind that a credit card purchase is basically an unsecured loan of other people's money to someone offering no proof of ability to repay. I also remember that (a) no one forced me to enter into a credit card contract, I did it voluntarily and with eyes open; (b) no one forces me to make purchases on my credit card, and (c) I can avoid interest payments altogether just by paying off my balance.

If it's high interest rates that bother you, how about denigrating pawn shops and those companies that loan instant money against your future paychecks and tax refunds, instead of credit card companies? They often charge 5% or more a MONTH.

Reply to
Just Wondering

How much of that debt that is at 27.9% is _never_ paid back?

Mine are 8.something% and 9.something%, respectively. In practice they're

-1.something%.

Reply to
krw

Just Wondering wrote in news:4e95d935$0$18682$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet-news.net:

You're probably both right. Although I do believe (I'm a retired biochemist) that the duty of a lawyer is first and foremost to his client, so that (within the law) he should make his client look as pristine and innocent as possible and make the opposition look like the worst possible human/corporation/whatever.

It's very easy to fall prey to the credit card shenanigans, if you misread the fine print and don't have the wherewithal to extricate yourself. Then it goes from being in deep shit to being permanently in deep shit. Just ask anyone who's been foreclosed on.

Reply to
Han

That's when you might want a good bankruptcy attorney.

Reply to
Just Wondering

The 18-month, zero percent rate on my sweeties two credit cards just expired. They were both to jump to ~18%. She switched the balances to two NEW cards at, you guessed it, zero percent.

Reply to
HeyBub

Correct. After all, consider the lawyer who has to defend a murderer and try to convince a jury that, despite all the evidence, his client is innocent, when he knows he is not.

Reply to
Stuart

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:48:20 -0600, Just Wondering

Catch 22 don't you think? You don't have the money for your mortgage, so it's foreclosed on. If that happened, then it's highly unlikely you're going to find the money for a good bankruptcy attorney.

Reply to
Dave

From what I've seen (on tv), lots of people who get foreclosed on plan for it months in advance, accumulating the money they "saved". That way, they have the means to move into an apartment once they are evicted..

Reply to
Bill

I guess that makes sense. If someone realizes they can't meet their payment schedule, they might just stop payments altogether and save what they can until they're kicked out.

Reply to
Dave

From what I can tell, the "game" is played very well. Some of the evicted may even salvage anything of value before they go (like copper). There was a show about this on "60 Minutes", or similar.

The other day, I heard about a man getting foreclosed upon, being evicted, and the bank still coming after him for what the bank lost after selling the house. Moral: If one is getting foreclosed upon, he or she needs a lawyer.

Reply to
Bill

How much IS paid back???

Reply to
Leon

Nothing emotional about it, my firiend ... but immediately attacking the man and NOT the issue, makes you sound like the lawyer you apparently are?

Although it's none of your business, I was indeed party to a lawsuit so frivolous that _both_ the plaintiff, and his attorney, were ordered to pay the dependents $15K each. The plaintiff immediately filed for bankruptcy, the attorney paid in order to keep his license, but left the company with a +$50K bill for our attorneys fees to defend what should never have been brought in the first place.

All nice and legally done by members of your profession ... but immoral, unethical and yes, unfair as hell of the old retiree stockholders who were counting on the money paid to, and because of, the scumbag lawyers.

But hell, you convinced yourself, with NO evidence, that I'm "just parroting what others say ...".

Enough said. The truth comes out.

Oh yes, what a wonderful, caring industry, and how altruistic their lawyer lobbyist lapdogs.

Yeah, it's really the laymen consumer who writes the contracts and the laws that are so in favor of the industry that even congress becomes shamed and is forced to step in to correct theirs, and their brethren's conduct.

History will prove that your profession is contributing to, and facilitating, the downfall of this country. Your profession should be ashamed of itself instead of slobbering in the public trough with such condescension.

Don't bother to respond to me, target your guaranteed response excusing such conduct to those who might be fooled. I won't be reading it.

Reply to
Swingman

Now here is an example of what we call a "crybaby" response. Not an ad hominem attack, but only regarding the context and how it was delivered.

Then somebody is supposed to care if he uses killfilters? Who needs that kind of bias anyway?

Dear, dear me.

[...]

m II

Swingman wrote in news:ZuGdnS54A4WlSAvTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Amen to that and thanks for letting it fly like that!!

Reply to
Han

Not really clear on "credit card shenanigans" resulting in "been forclosed on". One has to to be really stupid and have an insanely high credit limit to buy a house with a credit card.

Reply to
J. Clarke

(Probably a popular attitude) "If I owe $150K on my hourse, what's another $25K on a credit card? And after a few years, the difference between $25K and $50K doesn't seem so big...". I guess my point (and car dealers know that), is that when the numbers get big one can overwhelm people to the point where they don't even care anymore. What's another $1250 for a stereo on a $27000 car? It probably only affects the payments by 2 digits.

Reply to
Bill

The point being that high interest rates reflect high risk.

Reply to
krw