Sawstop cabnet saw nearing reality

Page 6 of 6
George wrote:

result of airbags. Granted, air bags are better than just seat belts, but they DO sometimes result in death when deployed.
dave
<...snipped...>

Telling something to dead people is about as effective as telling something to people on a newsgroup.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

And what was it you wished to tell us, Larry?
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

the uselessness of most newsgroups. They are akin to train wrecks; it's hard to stop staring...
dave

If I came away from a crash at 200 mph with just a broken clavicle I'd be very happy, thank you.
I have direct knowledge of the value of seat belts. I was aligning cars on the false grid while a race was running when an MG was forced off the track by another racer. The MG slid on gravel straight onto the end of the metal Armco barrier. The barrier speared completely through the center of the car and extended for 6 feet beyond its rear end. (I have photos of this)
When the dust cleared and I saw what had happened I didn't want to get any closer. But the driver walked out, saved by the engine block that had deflected the Armco and by his seat belts. I saw him in the control tower later that day and he said that all he got were belt bruises.
Mark me on the anti-air bag side for race cars. There is no resemblance between driving at racing speeds and driving on the highway, and the false deployment of an air bag in a Cup car would be a disaster.
Bob

For some interesting reading, look at the Power Tool Institute (industry group) comment to the CPSC petition contained in pgs. 35-69 of this file: http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA04/pubcom/REDUCEPT2.pdf and pgs.1-29 of this file: http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA04/pubcom/REDUCEPT3.pdf
Alot of reading, some of which is legalese, but alot of food for thought. Some highlights:
-- Testing of a prototype Sawstop showed a very high rate of false trips (alot of detail given in the comment)
-- The UL standard for tablesaws (UL987) is under review for addition of a requirement for a mandatory riving knife
-- Estimated US tablesaw population is 6 million with sales of about 750k per year. They have some back of the envelope stats that claim on a per saw cut basis that injuries are rare. I would take that analysis with a big grain of salt.
Personally, I think the Sawstop concept is great, but would want to see some hard real-world data that shows it works. Even if it does, it shouldn't be a mandated feature.
Tim