SawStop?

Did anyone else catch the NPR piece on the SawStop TS yesterday? Any thoughts? Here's the link to it:

Darin

also the subject of an article in the latest Fine Woodworking magazine. The video on the page you've linked to is impressive. There is no doubt that the device works. I doubt if it will ever become law, however.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Bizarrely, there was a posting in alt.obituaries about it

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Darin

inventor (Steve Gass) actually put his own finger into a saw blade to prove its effectiveness. Said he only got a scratch.

I have many times looked at my TS blade while it was running and thought about that. That is faith in your equipment.

I have never been cut by a table saw. If I could use the technology, I think I would rather have it on my miter saw. I have my hands much closer to the blade on that than anything else.

Another thing to think about: What if you needed to rip some ball park franks sometime? Could you disable it?

Reply to
Robert Allison

There is no doubt that

Does No ONE care about the thousands of hot dogs that have been slaughtered by this device?! You people are so insensitive.

-j

Robert Allison wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com:

Isn't that why you need a bandsaw?

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

But it looks like the key point here is that the blade withdraws.

Reply to
GregP

Nah, you don't need anything that big for hot dogs. A scrollsaw will do nicely. You only need the bandsaw for the Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas ham.

Reply to
Joe Wells

No, it does not withdraw, it stops the blade instantaneously (almost). It is like a super fast brake. It has been a while since I saw the article, but IIRC the device has to be replaced once it has been activated. That may have changed.

Reply to
Robert Allison

It does both, destroying the blade in the process.

Watch the video:

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

My sentiments, exactly.

Reply to
Swingman

Let me guess - they did a demo, and said it's shipping "real soon now", right? 5 years ago when I first saw that, it was exciting. Now, it's just another piece of vaporware, until I see one I can buy.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What's even more bizarre, is that Andy is apparently watching alt.obituaties.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Better to be on the outside, looking in

Reply to
Andy Dingley

So, just trying to plan your day then? If you're in there, no point in making that 10:15 meeting?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Here you go. There is a click-to-order link right on this page:

on the NPR piece they interviewed at least one or two people who had them in use.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Yes, I understand that prototypes exist. Unless something changed very recently, that's _all_ that's out there. This is the very definition of "vaporware".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dont laugh to much, but i used my band saw to cut up all the sugar pumpkins SWMBO and I grew into small pieces to make fresh pumpkin pies this year. Pumpkins are difficult to cut up, even with a large sharp knife, band saw took minutes, and a few minutes afterward to clean the goop off the blade and table! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

IIRC, due to the material used in the brake and the speed of the blade, the two actually fuse.

Joe

Reply to
Joe C.