SawStop?

Reply to
tzipple

The report from FWW last month explained the delay. 3-4 years ago (don't think it was 5) the inventor tried to market it to conventional saw designers to include as an option on normal saws. It didn't sell. Conspiracy theorists might suspect that by placing this protection on

*some* saws, hen manufacturers would be admitting that unequipped saws are dangerous, raising their liability level. The SawStop company gave up and set up manufacturing themselves, though I believe they still would be willing to market the components to other manufacturers.
Reply to
Merle

"A Prarie Home Companion" of a few years back had guys making cinnamon rolls on their lathes.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Tell that to Microsoft, Oracle, Blizzard, etc etc etc.

Awful long beta test...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Spade bits work well for making round eyes in jack-o-lanterns, as well. Makes a hella mess, which adds to the fun for the kids.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've bandsawed hard squashes in half, slots in tennis balls, foam rubber into custom case linings, cardboard, milk crates, CDs, hard drives... You name it!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

You misspelled sugar-coated. After nobody wanted it, they tried to get regulations enacted which would mandate their product. Nice way to do business.

Or maybe they just realized it was a bad idea when you really think about it.

and took up lobbying the safety commissions.

And outsourced the manufacture to some taiwanese company

other manufacturers.

They would be willing to sell it anywhere. Unfortunately they have not been successful at attracting buyers or delivering product.

-j

Inquiring minds want to know more! Sounds like there is a story here!

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

(I heard this yesterday... )

ORACLE -- "O"ne "R"eal "A"**hole "C"alled "L"arry "E"llison

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Apparently the SawStop folks, when the saw makers decided to NOT jump on board, then went to the Consumer Safety Commision to try and get the inclusion of THEIR product on ALL tablesaws, claiming that all tablesaws WITHOUT their device were inherently unsafe and a life and limb hazard to owners.

Although the idea and even this solution has appeal, that attitude of if the market didn't want their product, they would cram it down everyone's throat by manipulating the govbernment produced a massive backlash, making myself and many folks state that it would be a cold day in hell before I would even think about buying/using their product

That plus it costs you a bunch to get your saw back up and running once the SawStop fires, and they have NO long term statistics on this thing firing when it is NOT needed makes a strong case against it

That plus the fact that many folks saw other things than just wood on their table saw makes one wonder if this is going to prevent me from using my table saw to cut something like aluminum track with my table saw

Bottom line, I certainly will NOT look at this product due to their (in my opinion) unethical conduct in trying to generate sales by forcing it down the consumer's throat via regulation/legislation

John

Reply to
John

When I dispose of an old computer, I just want to be SURE the data is unrecoverable. Platters in multiple pieces, disposed in multiple places can help.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Not quite up to DOD standards (molten slag due to thermite), but close enough for _my_ data disposal needs.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've heard that, but never seen an actual cite for it. If you could point me to one, I'd be happy to loathe them for ethical reasons as well as my current dislike of them for marketing and development reasons.

Yabut, there's an "order now" button on the website I hear... probably no ship date, but you can order one.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Be happy:

try groups.google.com It has been covered in detail here a number of times.

It has been there for a few years.

-j

Carving the Christmas Goose is out!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

reasons.

Go to the original poster's reference, the NPR story, below. Once there, look on the left side of the page for a sidebar that talks about the Sawstop company's filing with the Government to mandate its usage. They even convieniently link you to the actual filings. You can begin loathing now.

Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

akamaized URL does not work. The content versioning part of the URL has been changed because gpo.gov's site has superceded that version. In almost every case, you can get the information anyway by shortening the URL by taking the Akamai-specific stuff out of the URL and starting with edocket.... in this case.

Yup, verified it, and it works. (I brought Akamai to our company's web delivery systems, so I'm very comfortable making that statement).

Right. "We want you to make this mandatory to help the people (but oh by the way we hold the patent)". Lovely.

You know, it's interesting. Saab patented dual-diagonal hydraulic brakes and 3-point seat belts. Mercedes patented "crumple zones", a way of having the car body absorb impact so the person's body doesn't have to. Both these companies _freely allow_ others to use their technology, to save lives. I can't help but think that SawStop's mission is other than just to help people.

Indeed. And maybe some year, there will be a sawstop-enabled saw somewhere that someone can walk in with money and walk out with a saw. If their letter about why their outsourced production problems are stopping them from shipping product is any indication, it won't happen any time soon.

Great idea, though. Maybe they could allow others to engineer and build based on their idea, like Saab and Mercedes did with their life-saving developments.

Dave "...but I doubt it..." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The people interviewed who had them were contractors and/or cabinet shops. The impression I got was they had bought them and were using them. Now a couple were waiting for delivery also, so I don't know if there are truly more than a few early production/prototypes out there or what. I don't really care, but it *sounded* like they were in production.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Bandsaws--not generally the woodworking type--are used in almost all butcher shops, and in many hunting camps. I've helped cut up deer with such a saw.

Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

That is a potential problem If it save a finger, I'll gladly pay may times the cost of a blade and cartridge. OTOH, if it goes off for no good reason, I'd be red with rage at them.

False activation was a concern with air bags years ago. They've proven themselves over many years now. My guess is the SawStop will take a few years of a good track record to become a consideration for the masses. I can also see down the road that OSHA and workman's comp insurance companies would demand such a thing once the technology has proven itself if it truly does. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski