Moles! Traps are banned :(

Mole traps are banned in my state (WA).

I tried mole baits, sulphur dioxide smoke bomb to no avail. What should I try next?

Is there a way to detect where the mole is under the lawn?

Reply to
peter

bob kater

There are only two practical methods to get rid of moles: kill what they eat, or get an animal that likes to hunt and kill them.

Period.

You can often see the earth moving above them, and stab in a shovel and flip them out. Ineffective for population control unless you have only two, but entertaining, if you're easily entertained. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Gum doesn't work.

"Chewing gum ingested by a mole will not gunk up his internal works and cause him to explode, despite the popular notion that it will. No mole in his right mind will eat chewing gum, especially with the smorgasbord of delights (slugs, ants, grubs) routinely spread before him. Moles eat insects and invertebrates. They do not eat chewing gum, Alka-Seltzer, boric acid, soap powder, Drano, steel wool, ground glass and the like. Moles are nearly blind but they are not stupid. "

The idea here is the mole will ingest the gum and choke to death as a result. Not only have we never seen proof this method works, but one must have serious doubts as to whether a carnivorous animal will be prone to eating gum. Not one of the more plausible methods.

The chewing gum didn?t work. The moles continue to destroy our yard, except for now they are doing it with minty fresh breath.

Unfortunately, there are no "short cuts" or "magic wands" when controlling moles. Some garden experts, frustrated by lack of knowledge about trapping, recommend the use of chewing gum inserted in mole burrows. There is no proof that this is effective and on a trial basis it has proven ineffective.

One of the most common of these surefire remedies has been to place chewing gum in the burrow. Research has shown that doing so has no effect on moles even if they eat it.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

I use them here anyway.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

I think there were a couple of guys using a propane injector recently that sounded really cool. You inject propane mixed with oxygen into the tunnel and ignite it. The subsequent shockwave / flame wall apparently wipes the varmits out.

Unfortunately, if you aren't really careful, the collateral damage can be a problem.

Ah! Here you go:

Robert Neville

Can't you call them "rat traps" or "alien invader detection system"?

Calcium Carbide is an anti-molant. Throw some pebbles down the mole-hole. Add water. This forms acetylene gas.

Wait.

Throw match down the mole-hole.

Instant Holy Moleys.

Reply to
HeyBub

Mole traps are banned!? Now just WHO is enforcing this in your backyard?

that's almost the most rediculous thing i've ever heard.

But as far as the moles are concerned, get rid of the grub worms and the moles will move on. Treat the lawn for grubs.

S. Barker

Washington State's Puget Sound Metropolitan Area: "Giving San Francisco a run for the title of 'LeftTard Capital of the West Coast' since 1968".

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Okay, Peter. When you see small mounds of dirt snaking across the lawn

- you may have a mole.

Piss in the yard to collapse the tunnel.

If you are nervous about being seen; collect urine samples, and then apply liberally.

The mole will move next door.

Reply to
Oren

9th Circus of Appeals?!

San Francisco got first vote and San Diego ended up with all the lawyers.

Reply to
Oren

Anyone tried passing electric current into the soil via metal rods? I wonder how much current I can pass into the soil before the grass starts to die.

Reply to
peter

"peter" wrote in news:yTYIj.12951$Eq.5791@trnddc05:

I got a catalog in the mail the other day. I imagine other places have it for sale, too.

Windmill Mole Chaser

Eliminate moles without chemicals or traps

Moles will move out fast once they hear the ground-penetrating noise created by this windmill-like fan. Although silent above ground, the windmill creates a vibration underground that moles can?t stand. Made of rust proof, zinc-plated steel. Requires 8 feet of galvanized pipe (not included). 18"l x 20"w.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

Go to Northern Tool dot com and type in "Solar Moler." I have 3 in my yard & have not had moles in a year. Read the reviews caretully as some people did not have any luck. For me they are great!

Reply to
Slim61

if traps are banned,i guess youll have to live with the moles.my neighbor runs an engine exhuast into the tunnells and runs for hours, i just trap them.... what happened in wa to get traps banned, ??? a love of the moles or a terrible human tragedy caused by mole trap??

-------------------------------------------------------------- Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
ds549

I had a mole problem. They were producing these snake-like mounds all over my lawn. I applied a grub killer for lawns, just once. It killed the grubs, and the moles left because they had no food. That was 8 years ago, and havn't seen a mole since.

Reply to
Phisherman

replying to peter, Kay wrote: I have tried every single remedy mentioned here and only one worked and worked for years. That remedy is Milky Spore. Critters had pretty much killed all of my hosta and destroyed out lawn when by chance someone mentioned that Milky Spore will kill their food and then they will move on. It's been about six years and now I am seeing evidence of their return. I have my Milky Spore ready.

Reply to
Kay