SawStop?

Me too, so I'd like someone else to work out the bugs before I buy one.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Also, WHO are you going to SUE when it doesn't work and you lose a finger anyway, OR get more than the tiny cut they show with the wiener demos?? Of course, right NOW the only one who is open for that lawsuit is going to be SawStop. Wonder what their liability insurance is running them per saw??

If it is NOT going ot be 100% then it is going to be a MAJOR liability source, I can just see the lawyers flocking to class action suits when the first failure with injury occurs - and I sincerely doubt that any waivers they require folks to sign are going to be worth the paper they are printed on

John

Reply to
John

...and the wheels and the guides and the belt and inside the wheel covers and...

Reply to
Joe Wells

words you give the guy your money and maybe he'll send you a saw one day and maybe he'll send himself to Rio instead.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well of course it did. Snake oil salesmen are good at making things sound better than they are.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'd chuck 'em in the lathe or drill press and apply 40 grit to the platters until there was no trace of coating left.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On the table saws it does but the key point is that it stops almost instantaneously. He's touting the thing for all saws, not just table saws.

Reply to
J. Clarke

>>> This akamaized URL does not work.

Little known fact--the antiskid braking system used on many cars these days is based on a Mercedes-Benz patent that Mercedes placed in the public domain for the good of society.

He'd be much more impressive if he did something like that. And since nobody wants to make the damn thing but him anyway, his financial risk is small unless it takes off in which case he's going to be rich anyway if he doesn't screw up.

Reply to
J. Clarke

They are great for skeet shooting.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I think I read it here that the Saw Stop folks are lawyers by trade. And that there is more than one.

-j

Mercedes did the same thing with their "crumple zone" impact absorbing technology, as Saab did decades ago with their dual-diagonal hydraulic braking patents.

Yup. It's clear that Sawstop's motivation is for other than the public good. Hell, one could argue that by patenting it and failing to provide a product, they're _preventing_ public good, since they won't allow competant manufacturers to build 'em.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

a chuck of aluminum welded to an expensive carbide tipped blade...bu then, I probably wouldn't be worrying about the blade much as scrambled to find half of my finger in the bag of my dust collector!

Improvements in safety technology are generally a good thing, until th goverment starts mandating their use.

One day, all that is legislated to protect us from ourselves is goin to upset the delicate balance of natural selection

-- makesawdust

Reply to
makesawdust

makesawdust notes:

Probably not. When things get more idiotproof, we raise a higher grade of idiot.

Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Of course if he gives up the patents and it takes off, the current saw manufacturers would simply add it to their product line and he'd be totally left out.

Reply to
Hank Gillette

He offered to license it to the manufacturers and they blew him off. How is that not letting them build them?

Reply to
Hank Gillette

The main guy is a patent lawyer with a PhD in physics.

Reply to
Hank Gillette

How many cars would have air bags or seat belts today, if the government hadn't made them mandatory? In fact, the air bag technology languished for several years, essentially unused until they were made mandatory?

It's a nice thought that the market will support safety devices on their own merits, but history has shown that not to be the case. If not for the government regulations, how much safety would there be in the average commercial wood shop?

Reply to
Hank Gillette

that's his side of the story. we aready know that sawstop is ready to play dirty to get their way.

Reply to
bridger

Hank Gillette asks:

And, one can add, how much of what is good for the public has come from people working "for the public good"?

The guy wants to make a buck off some years of hard work, which makes sense to me. But trying to get the government to force use turned me off.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self