Sawstop demo on TV

At the risk of reopening an old thread, some people might be interested in knowing that a recent episode of Ask This Old House had a demonstration of the saw. It was part of a saw safety presentation by Tom Silva. John

Reply to
John Siegel

Did they do the hot dog test??? Tom

Reply to
tom

"tom" wrote in news:1170379862.298180.154290 @s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

yes they did - they showed there was not a nick on the dog, but it didn't look as dry as finger would be after a day of sawdust ... And they didn't try a such a dry finger ...

Reply to
Han

Don't ruin it for me I won't get that episode until this weekend.

Reply to
RayV

spoiler space.............. . . . . The hot dog doesn't get cut through.

Reply to
George Max

Just once I wanna see a guy/gal put their finger into a running blade

- now *thats* a test! :)

We already know your red hot won't be harmed.

Reply to
George Max

I'm waiting to see the true test of confidence, putting his OWN weiner on the line!

;-) Glen

Reply to
Glen

If his wiener is long enough to reach the blade, he's already confident!

Reply to
Upscale

Well, it happened in a class at the local Woodcraft store. A student r= eached over the blade to knock off a wood scrap and didn't raise her hand high=

enough on the way back. Needed a bandaid.

--=20 It's turtles, all the way down

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

No blade guards?

Reply to
RayV

It has been done already.

Reply to
Leon

If scraps are short enough a blade guard can create the same effect as a rip fence and cause a pretty serious kick back if the piece gets trapped between the blade and the inside side of the guard.

Reply to
Leon

but was it filmed?

Reply to
George Max

Nah, a REAL test would by a guy putting HIS wiener on the blade...

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

I don't know, did you witness the signing of the declaration of independence? If you are going in the direction of if YOU did not see it happen you don't believe it,,,,,

Reply to
Leon

Is the saw stop worth the $4,000 if the company is no longer in business? Say 5 years from now, this guy cannot stay in business, is this saw worth the money you paid for it and equal to say a laguna. Now I was not able to get an answer from saw stop via e-mail on the motor frame size. I asked if it was OEM or had a nema frame size. It would be very helpful if it was a nema size. Now I understand , or at least I think I understand why other mfg. co. did not sign up for this licence. The bottom line just went up 8% but the info to saw stop would be how MANY saws mfg A sold and how many mfg B sold . Just think how much that INFO would be worth to another company. So the biggest concern right now is WILL they be around in 5yrs or will I have an expensive grizzly ?

Reply to
O D

The way businesses are bought and sold, what makes you think any of the major tool manufacturers will be the same in five years? Just take a look at DeWalt, Delta, Porter Cable, etc. Better think twice about buying a Ford or Chevy too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The real question with Sawstop is how hard it is to hack the thing to run without the cartridge if five years down the road you fire your last one and Sawstop or their heirs or assigns is no longer able to provide you a replacement.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yours isn't, damn.

;-) Glen

Reply to
Glen

Very easy to hack or just bypass. There are printed instructions in the owners manual that tell you how to bypass the safety feature if you want to cut metal.

Reply to
Leon