Old TV arials - now obsolete?

Are rooftop TV arials now all obsolete, what with digital TV, satellite TV, etc? I don't watch TV myself, but I am renovating the exterior of my house and wondered if I can remove the old TV Arials without any likelihood of their being missed in the future. Or do people receive digital TV signals via old arials? The arials in question were erected in the early 1990s, I believe.

Thank you. Al

Reply to
AL_n

Yes, very much so. In most (but not all) areas old aerials are (or will be) fine after the digital switchover. Even when the 'main' TV is on Sky or cable many people will need a terrestrial aerial feed for their other TVs.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Not at all - digital terrestrial TV (Freeview) uses the same aerials as analogue TV. As long as the aerials are in good condition, big enough, and the correct group, they are still useful.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

Depends what transmit frequencies are being sued for digital in your area, some areas are using different frequencies, and new aerials will be needed; others are using the same frequencies, and it is unlikely that a new aerial will be needed. For example my TV signal comes from Rowridge IoW, my 1980s aerial works fine now and will continue to do so after swirchover.

Reply to
airsmoothed

I wouldn't think a missing TV aerial would reduce the value of your property, unless your council is as useless and thick as Stoke's where they have been known to ban outside aerials in a poor reception area.

Personally I would leave an aerial up, it will probably be o/k for a digital signal anyway and if someone wants to replace it in the future it is less likely that a local action group will be formed to protest about modifying the landscape, causing cancer, attracting aliens etc etc.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

nope - as relevant as they ever were.

Its the way most people receive their digital TV.

Reply to
John Rumm

They certainly aren't obsolete. However after twenty years corrosion of the aerial and degradation of the coax means that they are overdue for replacement. Any brackets and fitting are likely to be corroded and weak. Removing them will make the place look more tidy.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

"Peter Crosland" wrote in news:x_CdnbZVF snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Thanks to all for clarifying the situation. I'll leave it in situ then.

Al

Reply to
AL_n