SawStop

Saw that article this month (Fine Woodworking) on SawStop. With thousands of amputations a year occuring with tablesaw accidents, any bets on how long it takes for this to be a standard feature? It seems to me that it will get hard for manufacturers to avoid it, if for no other reason than to head off lawsuits from people who claim that the manufactures had the option to manufacture a safer saw. And if it works and is reasonable priced, it is probably a good thing to have as standard equipment... like seatbelts, airbags, etc.

Reply to
tzipple

I don't think it will. as pointed out several times, if it is less than 100% foolproof, the liabilities faced would increase manyfold. As an aside, most powertools are inherently dangerous due to their nature. It is really up to the operator to make things as safe as possible

Reply to
ks

Thousands of Amputations? Damn. Can you site some official figures of those "thousands" of amputees? I ain't buyin' it...

Philski

Reply to
philski

Besides, Saw Stop is not a brand new idea. It's been out long enough for manufacturers to have looked at it and decided if it was worth installing. So far, I haven't seen any saws with it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actually, i meant cite (vs. site)

phil(ski)

Reply to
philski

I've seen the SawStop guys at woodworking shows for years, and the product is still not widely available. Last check, I think they were still taking "deposits". Must have one heck of a VC behind them all these years.

Reply to
bob

One of the very best climber cut his finger off on a table saw. They could have reattached, but then he couldn't have climbed for 6 months and he wasn't willing to do that; so he went without.

That is one.

Reply to
toller

This was discussed a while back. I found a source of information on this then--you can find that post at

In short though, in 2002 there were approximately 3503 table-saw amputations, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission . That site also explains the methodology--it's based on emergency-room reports though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I think your premise is incorrect. If that were the case the unsafe blade guards used in North America would have been replaced a long time ago.

Like most things, if the market decides that an extra $X00 per saw is a worthwhile investment, then some will be fitted. It is usually not up to the manufacturer to make it safe (unless it is legislated) if there are clear warnings in the manuals or stickers etc on the machines.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

philski responds:

Me either. I searched for facts and figures on this a couple, three months ago when Saw Stop came up for the 32nd or so time. Nothing definitive, lots of guesswork, so my guess of amputations in the low dozens is as good as any.

I first saw the demo video of the SS back in 2000, IIRC, at IWF in Atlanta. It was, and remains, impressive, but IMHO what would be more impressive is a total, simple, solution to kickback that is low in cost. Rough guess: there are

100 times as many injuries from kickback as there are from sticking a body part into the saw blade.

And I have to wonder, too, if figures exist do they count such "amputations" as one an uncle of mine got a decade or so ago. He ran his finger tip over the

1/8" or so of blade above the wood, and lost about 1/8" of the fingertip. Hurts. Bleeds a lot. Amputation or cut?

Charlie Self "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

"amputations" as

A fingertip probably qualifies. The dictionary defines it as "cut off part of body: to cut off a limb or other appendage of the body, especially in a surgical operation". I'd guess if it was something that doesn't grow back, then it qualifies as being amputated.

Reply to
Upscale

Upscale responds:

You're probably right. But if his fingertips are like mine, he can spare 1/8" without hitting bone, or at least without hitting it hard. My concept, if not definition, of amputation has always involved bone.

Enough. This is making my fingernails itch.

Charlie Self "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

I heard that they are trying to design one that will work with a deli meat slicer.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

That'll be ...problematic... but, as the real "product" still seems to be vaporware, I don't think that the technology will be the limiting factor.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

We'll see. Until I see one I can buy, or know someone who has, it's still vaporware. And I thought some had arrived, but had "build quality problems", the thing with the 'excuse letter' and all that?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You mean the blade will stop if someone put a piece of wood in it?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It was reported that they were shipping in small numbers. Not quite vapor, but a very fine mist.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Does anyone know of anyone who has one?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A batch of sawstops saws is crossing the ocean as we speak to be delivered later this month.

Reply to
ted harris

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:58:44 GMT, "ks" calmly ranted:

I got the FWW Tools & Shops issue today and the article on SawStop said that the saw blade is WELDED to the aluminum stop when it's engaged, meaning that you have to replace BOTH every time it happens. How'd ya like to replace a $100 Forrest WWII every week?

Reply to
Larry Jaques