This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger.

Okay, I watched the video and all I could say was "WOW!". This saw is probably fairly expensive. Besides, I have a nice one and am always very careful.

it only takes one mistake to lose a finger. Click on the link and watch the videos linked on the site. It's amazing. I have to ask - is this for real or is this some kind of high tech joke?

Has anyone else seen this machine before?

Jack

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Technologically it is interesting, however it has failed miserably from a business perspective since the public doesn't want it.

Further reason to not patronize the company is the fact that in their desperation to recover the development costs for their failed product they are attempting to get the government to require manufacturers to license and incorporate their technology in new saws.

This of course is essentially trying to get the government to force consumers to purchase the product. Not only should you not patronize a company as unethical as the sawstop folks, you should actively oppose their corrupt efforts.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Umm This has been discussed time and time again in the last 3 or so years.

The general consensus is that most every one here would rather not buy the saw for personal reasons. About 10% here think it is a great idea also. It sells for about the same price of a Powermatic cabinet saw, so pricing is competitive considering all the features. Actual owners seem to be quite pleased with the saw although on occasion there have some misfires that were later corrected.

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:LO2dnRQQucODoZ_ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Leon

If you google this group for sawstop, you will find hours of reading ahead of you.

Reply to
CW

Do you have finantial figures to back up you claim here? LOL Since the saw is in production and selling within a few years of having been introduced I would say it is a success despite personal feelings about the saw.

Any law against that? I believe that is called ummmm Capitolism.

Oh you have a hard on... I see.

Reply to
Leon

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:LO2dnRQQucODoZ_ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Where have you been?

Reply to
stoutman

That's a fairly inaccurate description as far as I'm concerned.

I recall the discussions well. After the long period of "is this vaporware or not?" the primary objection was to Sawstop lobbying to make their technology mandatory in the USA.

I think the tech is superb. As an option.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Ah, well, it was the first time I had seen or heard of it. Expensive and probably does have other problems (I'll read the previous writeups if I can find them). But still ... it's just sooooo cool.

Jack

CW wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Well, for the past 18 months, I've been in NM. Before that, I was in NJ. And before that, we lived in Ohio for a couple year. And up until I was about 10, I was in upstate NY.

Why do you ask?

Jack

stoutman wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:SJydnfPPSda40p_ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Well, you certainly have not been following this list much. Nor have you watched the TV woodworking shows. The Sawstop folks have been demonstrating their device for quite some time without much success. Jim

Reply to
Jim

No, I believe the people did not like the saw because they were speptical as to whether it would work correctly, then they were skeptical because the company wanted the government to mandate the safety device on other saws, then there was the discussion of vaporware which made no since because the saw was being sold and was in production at the time of the conversation.

So the tech would not be as good if it was mandated?

Reply to
Leon

While not successful in getting other companies to license their product they seem to be pretty successful in bringing the saw to market and having happy owners. There have been a few complaints of misfires but IIRC the situations were resolved. Imagine buying an automobile that has no problems. LOL

Reply to
Leon

When SawStop first announced their technology there was a long, long, long discussion here about it. They tried lobbying the US gov't to make their invention mandatory on table saws.

Many people objected to this.

Add to that the fact that they took forever to come up with an actual saw that one could buy...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

You know, this is why people don't like newsgroups. ALL I was saying is that I found this saw to be amazing. Okay, SHOOT ME! I'm sorry!!!!

Damn, what is it with people? I didn't know this was "common" knowledge and I thought I'd share it.

I apologize for trying to be nice.

Jack

Jim wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

I am no fan of sawstop because I am unconvinced of its ability to provide adequate protection. I am also not a fan of them lobbying government for increased regulation. However, you should be careful of accusing an entity of being corrupt. What exactly have they done that is corrupt / illegal? Nothing to my knowledge.

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:HfednZhiEKAvz5 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

No big deal. It is just that it has been a long drawn out argument around here and another thread just makes people pick up where they left off. Anyone who gets irritated with you for posting this and couldn't tell exactly what your post was from your subject line without reading it can go piss up a rope.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

On 26 Feb 2006, Leon spake unto rec.woodworking:

A quick googling of "sawstop" brings your name up 290 times to Pete C.'s once. Check your own pants.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

I'd suggest that the general consensus is that the saw is acceptable as long as money doesn't have to be spent on false activations and as long as the tendency to use unsafe practices around the Sawstop do not take over because of it's safety features.

In other words, if I needed a tablesaw, I'd consider the Sawstop as being completely practical as long as I don't needlessly have to spend money or become a danger to myself while operating it.

Reply to
Upscale

"Mandated" is not a word.

Mandate is a noun. Nouns do not have tenses.

What are you trying to say?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

You owe me a keyboard!