SawStop

Could be but this particular time they said on the news that night that there was a crackdown on seatbelt use in progress.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Exactly!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

(snip)

Because, of course, the people as mentioned above are driving perfectly safely, is that it?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Actually it is possible for an illegal immigrant, fugitive, or a person with expired registration or insurance to drive perfectly safely.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Sure, but if they're not driving legally, then I really don't have a problem with them getting found doing same.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Strictly speaking, I guess that must be true, at least as a theoretical construction -- but there seems to be little empirical evidence to support that position, and evidence aplenty for the contrary.

Doug Miller

That'd be *our* money, not their money.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

So how many saw teeth have to go through your finger before your finger comes off?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I don't know it it's so much a matter of the number of teeth as it is how far into your finger the teeth can get before the blade stops.

Reply to
TBone

The calculations above don't mean anything at all in the working of the saw. As for the number of teeth that will pass a given point of an arc, it is correct. What is NOT taken into consideration is the fact that the blade is also dropping down at the same time. Given the arc of the blade, coupled with the downward movement, the teeth are moving away from the contact point at the same time, so that must also be a part of the equation to determine actual contact. The finger (or hot dog) is moving is a straight line at a given speed, the blade outer circumference is moving down at an unknown speed. Thus, the actual contact will be less that what the OP is stating here. If it moves away faster than the lateral motion of the finger (or test kielbasa) there will be minimal contact even if the blade never stopped.

.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Actually, it's how far into the teeth the finger can get. Any saw that can make good progress in ipe can cut finger as fast as you can feed it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, all I know is that when they demonstrate the thing with a hot dog it stops virtually instantaneously. The dog has just a slight knick in it.

Reply to
Jeff P.

Saw a live demo in Atlanta, he ran that hot dog into the saw blade alot faster than you would cut any piece of wood. He shoved a sled with the hot dog on it as fast as he could into the blade, not cutting the sled it was already cut the same size as the distance the fence was set from the blade. Hot dog only had a nick like the demo

Joe

Reply to
Joe

My question is, would there be adequate protection if all that happened is the blade dropping (or being pulled) below the table? It seems to me that you might actually get pretty close to the same level of protection without a system that destroys your blade and cartridge.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Well of _course_ it does. How many do you think they would sell if it cut the hot dog in half? The question is not what happens in the sales demonstration, it's what happens in the real world.

Reply to
J. Clarke

But was it going a lot faster than your hand would be going if you slipped and shoved it into the blade while trying to catch your balance?

If it was their salesman then it _was_ "the demo".

Survival 101, never, _ever_ believe the advertising if its being in error could bring you to harm.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If there is 3 inches of blade exposed it takes .13 seconds for it to drop below the table assuming it's being dropped by gravity with no friction and no power assist. At that exposure when your finger touches the blade it will be 4.6 inches from the centerline. To reach the centerline with .5 inch of blade still exposed your finger would have to reach the centerline in .11 seconds. That means moving 41 inches per second or 3.48 feet per second or 2.38 miles per hour. While you might not want to move wood that fast, that is less than a slow walking pace, so moving your hand into the blade that fast is _very_ easy to do.

Reply to
J. Clarke

amputations.

inattentive

Reply to
Joe

The "yea but how will it do in the real world?" question comes up often. Good question, but it's one that SawStop couldn't have answered without engineering the saw conservatively and getting them out in real shops. That's what they've done. There are about 200 in shops right now. There will probably be 1000 by partway through 2005. Now we just give Murphy's Law some time to act.

I find SawStop's engineering and testing entirely reasonable. They haven't taught 100 monkeys to cut wood and then studied the accident rates and results, but I don't think they needed to. I take it as obvious that stopping a blade in 1/200 second and dropping it below the table will substantially reduce injury, and is a worthwhile addition to a saw design.

FWIW, the same results won't be gotten by just dropping the blade. Look closely at the side view high speed video on the SawStop site. The blade stops before it drops. Also, the drop is effected by the stop. A drop without a stop might take a more complicated mechanism.

Reply to
dwright

Really now. Would you prefer that one of the sales reps slides his hand into the blade? Will that satisfy you? Personally, I'm not rushing out to buy a Sawstop but it does seem like a very good idea. Just keep waiting, I'm sure we'll have real world data sometime soon if they're actually selling any of these.

Reply to
Jeff P.