Black & Decker bought Delta and Porter Cable???

I hope this isn't true as B&D seems to run all it touches into the ground (its own name, ELU, Quantum). Is this deal finalized?

Reply to
George

Black & Decker: The chevette of tools. *sigh* This SUCKS! I *LIKE* Delta.

Reply to
Chris Hornberger

Done deal.

Reply to
bob

A sad sad day indeed.

Henry Ford figured out, if you make a tool ((car) that lasts forever, why would your customers need to buy additional copies from you. Therefore you make tools that fail quickly and you can now sell that same customer another one. Now excuse me while I go and find a crying towel.

Reply to
Nirodac Yar

I think its a done deal. Dewalt still seems to be doing well under them.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

my neighbor told me that my... let me get this right... Craftsman biscuit jointer is made by Dewalt, which is owned by B&D as their "upper end" line... We have experimented with drugs in the past and he could be BS'ing me... (we, unlike a past president, never exhaled)

Reply to
mac davis

Old news. Was in all the papers.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

So DeWalt and Delta are owned by the same company? Where's the DOJ antitrust division when you need them?

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. B&D didn't buy the others because they weren't profitable, they were just making a bit less profit than the other divisions of the seller's company. Let's see how it plays out.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Buck Turgidson asks:

Probably still scratching their heads over the Jet/Powermatic scramble.

Charlie Self "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

I guess this is only bad news if B&D allows quality and ruggedness to degrade (I'm SORELY tempted to add "to their level") in order to maintain a price point.

Reply to
Chuck Hoffman

Recent posts indicate Delta was already degrading quality all by themselves (referring to the early offshore built Unisaws).

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I'm curious. The whole Unisaw is made off shore? Parts and pieces are made off shore?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Yep, according to Pentair's web site, the deal was closed several weeks ago.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Iffen it was me - I would buy me a big barge, and load it up with all sorts of slave/prison labor and anchor it about 190 miles offshore. Captive workforce - but "Made in the USA".

Now if I can just find an extension cord long enough.

Reply to
patrick conroy