Porter-Cable quality?

Porter-Cable used to be a good brand. Now that B&D bought them out, are they any better than B&D? Their new low prices ($159 for a cordless drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw combo) makes me think they are now as worthless as B&D. Any such experience with the new stuff?

Mike D.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

I have about 10 1983 PC tools that work, then prefab factory builders would use them everyday for about 1 yr and wear everything out and get a new one. Then you paid 350$ for their top drill. Now its maybe 200$

25 yrs later! Stuff is likely made in china now of less quality but also look at how much less you pay. If B&D owns them now who knows, dont they own DeWalt a top brand.
Reply to
ransley

The B&D brand is their low price point for entry level consumers. They're positioning Porter Cable for serious amateurs. DeWalt is their pro line. In other words, they're downgrading Porter Cable from pro to serious amateur.

Reply to
Rick-Meister

OTOH, if you ever see any OLD (like 20 years) B&D at a garage sale, at least plug it in for a listen , after wiggling everything for a bearing check. My father has some well-abused B&D saws that used as a kid, that still work great. Not so sure about modern DeWalt. I can remember when it was almost a 'trade only' brand, priced accordingly. The ones since they switched to yellow shells don't seem as rugged to me.

Yeah, I know, there are only a few factories world-wide that make tools for everyone these days, same as most items. Brand doesn't mean near as much as it used too. You gotta pick it up and let it talk to you, see how it feels in your hands. Cheap junk usually feels like cheap junk.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Hi, Last time I looked at their circular saw it was from China. I am sticking to Milwaukee and De Walt. Well I have their Tiger Saw and some Bosch as well.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Good idea to avoid China-made tools.

Reply to
Phisherman

30 years ago my father had a B&D and I still remember going downtown a few times a year to get parts to fix it. Bought a Craftsman drill about 25 years ago and my son has it I think, or my son-in-law. It helped me build a house (drilling all the holes for electrical) as well as various other jobs over the years. The only repair has been a new cord.\\

Mike D.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

I have PC everything. I use a 14.4 cordless drill everyday for 7 years and love it. I have only had to buy batteries for it. Since the take over I will not buy PC anymore. I'm moving my tool purchase to Bosch or Milwaukee. I even called PC about a year ago and voiced my concerns and was told not to worry it was keeping PC for the pros. Well guess what? It's weekend warrior shit now. PC stuff, routers, drills, jig saws, sawzall, circular saws, and miter saw. Not anymore. I hope B&D reads these posts!!!!

Reply to
evodawg