SawStop Jobsite Table Saw

Well it's here (in North America), at least orders are being taken for it. Arrival is expected in March 2015

upscale

Only a few dollars more than the Ryobi saw used by Carlos Osorio, the flooring contractor's employee...!! Not!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

But I bet that contractor (and a lot of others) puts one on order :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Bet this one will find a few converts.

It certainly would have improved my $56 version.

Lew Hodgett

Here is another take on things: Because the Job Site Saw has the flesh sensing technology guys like Osorio will feel that is perfectly safe to freehand wood through the saw without a fence, miter gauge, sled, etc. The Saw Stop technology could thus be viewed as facilitating the unsafe use of the table saw.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

No, actually guys like Osorio already feel that way without flesh sensing technology. Just ask Osorio, Tommy Silva, and Norm Abrams.

Reply to
Leon

Or just possibly, maybe, there is an outside chance that the flesh sensing technology will seen as an additional safety feature. I think there are a great deal of folks that welcome any advantage they can get against tool ac cidents.

These arguments are left over from the teeth gnashing, brittle screaming ab out civil right violations from a nanny state, and all the other attendant bullshit that went with the initial 1000 post thread(s) over the original S awStop table saw. The outrage, the indignation, the defiant attitudes, the chest pounding proclamations... I remember them well.

I hear the same argument of safety features making folks lose their minds o n the knife forum website where I participate. This happens when folding knives with locking blades come up compared to non locking blades. The rea soning there is that others are not nearly as smart as the person posting a nd will certainly use the knife with a lock blade incorrectly (as a fixed b lade) and will wind up with a missing finger or worse simply because having a locking knife will be roughly the equivalent of dropping acid.

Some of the most profound cynics feel that safety features encourage profou nd stupidity over there, too. Maybe in their world. In my world of worker s that use tools to make a living, most welcome a safety feature that actua lly works. Our only problem is affording the technology.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Very well said Robert. When you actually use these tools you know better. When you sit back and look for problems you see nothing but problems and get nothing done.

Reply to
Leon

Then again Joe tells Bob hey watch this as he runs a hot dog through the blade and a $100 or so is down the drain. Guess it depends upon your help, that is what went through my mind when I saw the posting.

So you set up the GoPro watching the saw, and if it is a finger okay, if some yahoo does hey watch this, dock his check for the cartridge?

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Yes there are many tradesmen who work safely and appreciate safety devices, or maybe I should say were. What I've been seeing more and more is tradesmen who lack any formal training and disregard even the most basic safety standards while performing tasks with inherent risks (e.g., don't use safety glasses, hearing protection, dust masks/respirators. etc.). I've been in a high school level trade school shop quite a number of times recently and they use eye, hearing, and dust control devices. However, the shop was dangerously dirty and cluttered with many trip hazards. The shows on TV (HGTV in particular) show poor and sometimes dangerous work practices. These are the guys, as Markem notes, that are the problem... and they typically have bosses who set bad examples and standards.

There are a couple tree outfits around here that I don't want anywhere near my property, same goes for landscapers, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and furnace servicemen. Too much hurry and too little care. I've been in quite a number of commercial woodworking shops and the lack of dust control (particularly from sanding), build up of fumes from adhesives, lacquer, and other finishes and chemicals is enough to choke a horse. These issues are management/owner issues... Training, work practices, and mandated safety equipment are their responsibility. Hence my comment about how the SawStop technology on a job site saw could be seen as facilitating bad work habits... without the training and management to back it up its still a problem even if it costs a lot more.

I have also been on site with loggers and their bosses where safety was paramount. I got certified through the Game of Logging program and met one owner who had his entire crew there. Not only is he concerned about his insurance costs and liability but it was clear that he was concerned about his employees' welfare as well as his own. I hate to say it, but that man was the exception to what I've been seeing. I also know professional woodworkers (one of whom also teaches and writes for FWW and other publications) whom has gone to a SawStop recently. This as despite many decades of safe work practices he got hurt on his cabinet saw... a newer one with a riving knife but no SawStop. It's not that I oppose the idea of SawStop its that it should be part of a package that includes training, work standards, and management enforcement. The latter items are often missing from the workman's package... and Sawstop facilitates this through the technology and advertising.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

[...]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Leon