2002 Unisaw

Page 9 of 9
On 12/18/2013 7:01 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Actually it collects from a 4" port in the cabinet and the smaller one at the back of the guard. The smaller one "T's" off from the 4" port at the back of the saw.
On 12/17/2013 7:41 PM, Bill wrote:

You don't need both. Most of the goods you cut will be flat. But when you are tenoning or cutting splintes the arm will be in the way. The right side attachment extending to the left is pretty standard for a reason.

Consider large EMT so that it does the dust collection. Not your EMT that you used to wire the place. That would work for just supporting it, but consider putting the dust collection through the support just the way a store bought unit works. Attach an elbow and you are good to go.

--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

for me today to build my confidence back up! I felt confident for a while, then I slipped. Time to sleep on it.
Cheers, Bill
On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 19:41:40 -0500, Bill wrote:

Sounds like the overhead guard on my 1948 Delta - but alas, no dust collection. It does have a dust chute coming out the back but it's square :-). Take a look at:
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id666
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Thanks!
Bill
On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 13:31:57 -0500, Bill wrote:

And with some new bearings, mine has absolutely no measurable runout. Of course, that is easier to accomplish when the blade is mounted rigidly, the table goes up and down and tilts :-).
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Larry, Thanks for proving I wasn't completely-delusional. After posting about a "C-clamp" in the first place, I was concerned folks wouldn't have a clue about what I was talking about (and I could not have blamed them!)
Bill
Woodchucker wrote:
> I think if you marry Sonny's and this together you would likely come out with a nice unit. > You might even marry some pvc into the support arm (along with the pipe for some dust extraction).
Jeff, I think your idea of using PVC for a dust collecting support arm has a lot of merit.
One could pick up a few ideas from the support arm of this unit:
http://www.pennstateind.com/library/TSGUARD_ins.pdf
I can imagine getting a support structure in order using a half-a-roll of duck tape? But maybe that is cheating. ; )
Bill

Some merit, anyway. I tried that about a year ago; even 2" PVC is disappointingly flexible over a span of 4+ feet, and requires overhead support.
:-(

That's what I modeled mine after (except I put the dust port in front where it belongs). I used PVC mostly for proof-of-concept, and will probably re-do it some day using EMT or RMC.
Doug Miller wrote:

Well, that is useful to know. I'm becoming sorry I didn't keep the base from an old halogen lamp. I've got a similar one right next to me, and it's base seems to be 20 pounds at least. Attaching a 3-foot length of PVC to that, I might have a structure for a blade guard in short order. If anyone is worried about safety, please don't, it's too early for that. I'm just thinking out loud (sort-of).
I have the original equipment blade guard with splitter. But I upgraded the splitter to a riving knife (and that's how I got to this point).
Bill

I finally finished the article. I really enjoy reading articles like that one. Here are a few comments:
--The hood having a solid wood front obscures vision too much. It's also a little too narrow (for my tolerances/comfort zone); he may have built one before.
--He's got a 1 1/2" diameter conduit beam being supported by just one mast (bolted to the far right end of his saw).
It bothers me to have that beam hanging... Something is going to crack, break or sag. I would use 2 masts (some commercial systems use "nested masts"). In fact, if I had them handy, I might two lamp bases with a length of EMT between them? Think of the possible lighting! ; )
Yes, we're having fun. I wonder what a Festool Blade Guard would look like? I guess it would be green. But that's no advantage over having a solid wood front!
Cheers, Bill
On 12/18/2013 8:11 PM, Bill wrote:

Not to mention costing a TON of green<g>
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

I can see that some folks here have an FS. A Festool-Stop! ; )