Unisaw price?

Any idea what made the price of the Uni jump up to over $1800(US)? I bought mine just 2 years ago for 'only' $1200. I thought outsourcing to China was supposed to keep the pricing down..... Just wondering

Reply to
Mark L.

Two factors are the weight. The cost of steel and iron have increased dramatically in the past two years and Unisaws have plenty of it. Second is freight cost. The fuel surcharge is now 26% for some carriers. It gets expensive to move heavy machines to the dealers.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You got an absolute bargain if you bought a new Unisaw for $1200 two years ago. They were going for $1500 to $1600 two years ago from what I recall.

I paid around $1200 for a refurb Unisaw back in 2002 with a 52" Unifence.

The Unisaw is still made in the USA with American parts except they dropped the Baldor motor in favor of a WEG motor that appears to be made in Brazil.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

You noticed what steel and fuel prices are doing/have done?

The Unisaw is still for the most part made in the US, I think (almost, if not the only, Delta stationary machinery that still is?).

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I haven't seen a Unisaw ad for under $1500 in years and years. I just looked through the Jan/Feb 2000 Fine Woodworking; every Unisaw ad I spotted lists them for $1600. I think the OP has a cobweb in his memory, or may have bought a refurb saw, or less than 3 hp saw, or some such.

I also pulled out the Dec. '89 issue of FWing.

3 hp Unisaws from Tool Crib were going for: 1.5 hp - $1299 1.5 hp w/Bies - $1469 3 hp - $1499 3 hp w/Bies - $1669

In other words, even 16 years ago, $1200 would barely get the most basic

1.5 hp Unisaw, which I don't believe is even made any longer.
Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Marathon not Baldor

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

All Unisaw versions, The highest end 14" BS, All sizes of radial arm saws, The heavy duty shaper series, The line boring Machines,

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Opps.. Maybe I was thinking of the Baldor replacement motor sold on Amazon.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert