2002 Unisaw

I was looking at parts diagram for a 2002 Unisaw that I located that didn't have a blade guard or splitter. I was surprised. From the parts diagram it looks like a real pain to remove the splitter (2 screws, sideways?). Not only that it would cost $150 to obtain this part. Maybe I've already deduced why it's "not present"?

Thee may be value in a riving knife instead? FWIW, this saw has a Unifence that didn't move as smoothly as other fences I've seen, it needed to be "palm tapped"--but that detail doesn't seem so critical. Maybe it just needs wax? It locked solid however (though it is Aluminum and may flex a little--you can see I've been reading! ;) )

Looks like it may either be this saw or a new Grizzly G0691. Does Grizzly have a "great feeling" fence or just so-so? After all is said and done, the cost of delivery of both saws is about the same(which improves the price of the Grizzly, relatively speaking).

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Model number? Lots of different Unisaws in the early nineties.

Reply to
Swingman

-Since- the early nineties.

Reply to
Swingman

Don't let the Unifence deter you. Very flexible:

Works great with the delta Unifence. Been using one for ten years and recommend it. Great for jigs and easy add ons, like sacrificial fences. Only caveat is that the Unifence doesn't work well with "hold downs" (board buddies), which I don't use in any event.

Reply to
Swingman

The model number on the cabinet is 36-829, which I've since learned is the model number of the *cabinet*. %-) The serial number begins 02B, which places it in February, 2002 I think. It's not a "Platinum edition", it's plain, but it has a little sticker "USA stripes" on the lower right. Electric is on left side, motor cover on right side (underneath, not on the outside), saw is RT. It's 83" long with Unifence. Based on the date (2002), I think it's Model 36-841.

Reply to
Bill

Thanks, I save a link to that. The product reviews back you up.

Reply to
Bill

Yep, that shows a different splitter than mine. Mine is a one knob affair that goes off and on in less than ten seconds.

Since I don't use the blade guard, but I do use the splitter, I cut the kickback pawls off the splitter and made it short enough that I can leave it on for sled crosscuts, which is about 95% of crosscutting I do in the shop.

And it still provides ample kickback protection for rip cuts.

Reply to
Swingman

No redirect

Swingman

Thanks for the pic. I will look closer next time I see the saw. I will bring a small flashlight too! : )

Reply to
Bill

My splitter is like that, 2 bolts. Now they are wingnuts. Inside was. another bolt to loosen/tighten; now it is a cam clamp.

Not only that it would cost $150 to obtain this part.

Riving knife? Much safer than a splitter because it always hugs the blade. You are aware that you can't retrofit a riving knife to a saw that came without one? Unless you manage to fabricate it yourself somehow. Which would then void your "warranty".

You can improve on the stock splitter with the Biesemeyer aftermarket device assuming it works on your saw:

Or a splitter/blade guard combo from Lee Styron might be just the ticket for you:

From viewing their web site, the Grizzly fence looks to have been re-engineered from the one on my G1023. My lever handle is roughly cast, the pic looks like a nicer looking arm. I would rate my fence as "OK". It is quite solid. Waxing the table, rails, and pads on the fence makes all the difference in terms of smooth sliding.

Jim Weisgram

Yep, you can:

Swingman

I've got a late 90's Unisaw with the the Besemeyer fence and overhead guard with the same splitter. Looking at the manual for the overhead guard it looks like the splitter and the thumb nut set up are available parts that came with the overhead guard.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Sorry. Warranty in quotes was intended to indicate my tongue was firmly stuck to one of my cheeks. Not saying which one.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

As it turns out, the stand for the saw is actually setting on it's table top. %-)

Am I likely to have much success moving things around with a crowbar and some pieces of twobyfour?

I have the names of some folks who may be able to contract for help if I am the high bidder. I'm just not sure if I trust them (to not lift it by the top).

I'm planning for at least 45 seconds of excitement for tomorrow! : ) No! Not a hot date.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

A riving knife for it doesn't cost that much. I have a 2009 Unisaw and rarely use the blade giard. The knife is great, though.

Go for the knife. It's a little dodgy installing but it works great. Which fence?

I had the same choice in '09. The Unisaw won hands down.

Reply to
krw

Just pick it up!

Seriously, you should be able to flip it over without too much trouble. Try pushing sideways on the stand. I wouldn't put a crowbar to the top.

You shouldn't need to lift it at all. Rock it back and forth. Use

2x4 shims to get it high enough to get it on a dolly.

Glutton!

Reply to
krw

It just takes one other person to makes an auction difficult, and he was there (he probably thinking the same thing)! We had to go from $500 to $1050 before I convinced this person I was pretty serious about getting a saw! And that's the dollar amount I payed--$1050+10% +7% (sales tax), in case anyone is curious. I felt like I didn't want to do any more saw shopping--and this one was only about 5 miles from home--so I thought beforehand that it wasn't going to get any easier. I met a kind person who helped me get the saw home on his trailer--I had talked with him for 10 or 15 minutes before they got to auctioning the machinery. While I was collecting parts in a plastic garbage bag that I brought with me for the occasion, he asked me if I needed any help moving the saw. And I said yes, please. And he said, where's your truck. And I said, I don't have a truck. Can we put in in yours?--I said I live close by and I will be glad to give you $100 to help me. His trailer featured a hand-powered winch-which was handy pulling it up and letting it down some improvised ramps. He did a lot of work though, securing the saw. He got he out of a "tough jam". I thanked him and tried to hand him $100, buy him a tank or two of gas, etc. but he would only take $5 for gas. A nice guy who made a real difference, like many of you folks.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Sounds like a really nice guy. Do you have his name/address? You might try sending him something for the holidays (something a little nicer than a fruitcake ;-), with a note thanking him again.

You'll love the saw. Now you need a good miter gauge (the Delta sucks) and a few Forrest blades. ;-)

Reply to
krw

[...]

The only problem I see with this post is that it's not a new thread, onto i tself. Purchasing a Unisaw, with the latest model Unifence/side table, mob ile base & motor cover deserves a thread all its own, with some more braggi ng and feel-good statements. *That extra moble base might be able to be re trofitted & used with a pending(?) jointer, too.

I'm excited for you, Bill. ^5

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Yes, you don't need to tell me that. Who doesn't like fruitcake?

I'm glad because I don't have a miter guage. The saw guard, with it's splitter, and 3 insert plates (in all) were found before the sale. Also got an extra mobile stand out of the deal! What can I buy for it, Mike M.? : )

Reply to
Bill