2002 Unisaw

I double checked, it was $119.99 last year. At this point, just trying to walk around my garage/shop is "an accident waiting to happen". I need to flip the saw around, put it on it's proper stand, and put it where it needs to go,etc.

Towards that goal, I noticed that Menards has this miter saw stand on sale tomorrow for $29.99:

Bill

There is some squeaks. No functional problem that I am aware of. The idea of putting grease onto the gears raised my caution flag too. I suspect that the saw just hasn't been used in a while.

Reply to
Bill

I did a little research and found this is the Portamate 3600, and I compared it to the Portamate 4000. If it were the latter, I might bite. My current miter saw configuration take up more space than it justifies when I'm not using it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Thank you. I will investigate further. I need to "get in there" with a vacuum cleaner and a flashlight!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Space can be a problem. Since we moved to this house, that's not my problem anymore. I need time to fill the 2000^ft unfinished[*] basement. ;-)

[*] so unfinished that there was one outlet in the entire thing.
Reply to
krw

----------------------------------------------- Norm to the rescue.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There really is no problem with using a grease, the factory uses grease. But there is more maintenance involved with having to clean more often.

Reply to
Leon

The saw made the 5 mile ride home without incident, but, to be honest, it practically fell over twice (never ALL the way over--but beyond

45-degrees) by the time it was in it's mobile base yesterday! : ) Both of those were "pretty interesting" moments. In the first one I was alone.

Now I'm looking at *blade guards*.

While exploring some of my options, I noticed that ShopNotes featured an article on building a "Dust-Free Blade Guard" in 1997 (Volume 16, Issue 92). It seems to be a pretty popular on the Internet. Is it possible someone has a version of the article that they might post to abpw? I am a subscriber to the magazine but I don't save most copies.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

I can help you out on that Bill, I will not post it but would be happy to pdf you a copy directly to you.

BTY it is a two part article, one for the guard nd a short one for the guard support.

If you are interested send me an e-mail.

Reply to
Leon

Depending on your download speed, it may take a few minutes to download the whole issue.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Bill, I'll see if I can find another article for you. I don't remember what mag, but if I still have it, I'll scan and send it. Made of plexiglass or lexan which allows you to see in, and includes a full 2" vac.. The Shopnotes looks like a crevise tool which I don't believe would be as good, I could be wrong.

Reply to
woodchucker

Bill, I'll see if I can find another article for you. I don't remember what mag, but if I still have it, I'll scan and send it. Made of plexiglass or lexan which allows you to see in, and includes a full 2" vac.. The Shopnotes looks like a crevise tool which I don't believe would be as good, I could be wrong.

Reply to
woodchucker

Sonny, Thank you for the download!

Thanks, I'm still in the idea collection stage. I've got some EMT lying around...and I'm not afraid to bend it! ; )

Reply to
Bill

YW. Having to download 8 issues of ShopNotes, for just a few pages, seems impractical. Then, some of the left edge of the pages (discussion), on that download, were blurred.

Maybe Jeff can find something better, if Leon doesn't beat him to it.

If you wait a bit, after I win the MegaMillions pot, I'll buy you a blade guard of your choice, tomorrow.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

done deal a few hours ago! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

:-)

I'll buy you a blade guard of your choice, tomorrow.

Reply to
woodchucker

Bill, while not much better than what Sonny had, I like the hood better. Not the arm.. I think if you marry Sonny's and this together you would likely come out with a nice unit. You might even marry some pvc into the support arm (along with the pipe for some dust extraction).

See the alt binaries.

Reply to
woodchucker

I agree that the 2" dust collection is most-surely superior to the "trim attachment. For former design used 3/8" Lexan too (compared to 1/8"). It seems like it would even work better if the vacuum hose is attached over the rear of the blade.

Barring a ceiling attachment, it seems like 2 separate configurations are required to avoid most conflicts (one from the left, and one from the right). Furthermore, it should be fast and easy to alternate between them.

And it might use EMT since I have 4 or 5 pieces laying on the floor! : ) Imagine a giant C-Clamp with a "blade guard hood" attached to it. Maybe the C could just be "swung" out of the way? As many say, "The devil is in the details...".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

There is some inspiration to be gleaned from the one of this page of Grizzly's catalog (bottom of page):

Bill

No, most of the dust gets thrown to you, so to the front is better.

You don't need both. Most of the goods you cut will be flat. But when you are tenoning or cutting splintes the arm will be in the way. The right side attachment extending to the left is pretty standard for a reason.

Consider large EMT so that it does the dust collection. Not your EMT that you used to wire the place. That would work for just supporting it, but consider putting the dust collection through the support just the way a store bought unit works. Attach an elbow and you are good to go.

Reply to
woodchucker