Same Church, New Pew: fences and guards for the Unisaw

I'm sorry to dredge up this old topic, but I would appreciate some opinions or at least references to archived discussions. The time has come when I'm going to buy a Unisaw (left tilt) and I would appreciate opinions on the virtues of a Unifence vs. the Bisesemyer. In two years, I've gotten past the big stuff in building my own house and have started the finish cabinetwork, trim, door casings, and interior door building but I also plan to get into some major furniture when those are finished and I would anticipate still having a fair amount of sheet goods yet to saw before I'm done. What would be the best fence?

I long ago abandoned the guard and splitter on my current saw, but I have the feeling that in principle I should make a fresh start with the Unisaw. What about the floating Biesemyer guard and the Deluxe Uniguard? Any strong preferences or unpleasant experiences?

Lastly, does anyone know if the discount coupon book advertised with the new Unisaw X5 has any real bargains in it?

As always, help from this group is gold to me. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Hinshaw

The Beis is much easier to use with fence jigs and anything that needs to be mounted on the fence like board buddies and. Other than that, it is pretty much a personal preference ... I prefer the UniFence because of the ability to turn it on it's side and move it around.

I own a Delta UniGuard and use it religiously. The design encourages use of the blade guard and splitter, and the guard swings up and out of the way instantly for through cuts. The splitter must be removed by hand, but it takes seconds to install and remove and, being independent of the guard, can be left on while the guard is up and out of the way.

Highly recommended if you're into using safety devices for whatever reason.

Reply to
Swingman

I have the Unifence but upgraded the fence rail (UniT). Plan to purchase the Merlin splitter in a week or so and have the Beis guard but don't use it often. Not that it isn't good, I just haven't trained my self to use it. A lot of what I do is very small strips and the guard gets in the way. if everything you do is 3 - 5 inches or wider, it would be fine.

Bruce

Bill H> I'm sorry to dredge up this old topic, but I would appreciate some opinions

Reply to
BRuce