Is this Unisaw on eBay worth the "Buy It Now" price?

The buy it now price is $800.00

The price right now is $30 but, of course, the auction ends in 8+ days.

Ray Kinzler

Uni with the JetLock fence. I could be wrong.

With a single phase motor, the price will surely go up. If you have any hopes of getting it, be prepared to sit on the auction for the last ten minutes and get a good snipe in within the last thirty seconds.

But don't be surprised if the price goes above $800 which, although I'm no expert, seems a little high for an old 2hp Rockwell Uni with the JetLock fence.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I don't know how old this one is buy I am guessing $800 is above its price new. Also, if you look closely at the 6th picture down it looks like a fair amount of rust inside the cabinet. Makes me wonder if it sat around with sawdust in it for a while. Also lacking the motor cover which won't help dust collection (The holes are there).

Even though it's quality, new, was probably better than the newer Unisaws, you don't know about bearings, trunnions, and moving parts. I certainly wouldn't be interested in it at the buynow price. Even as a restoration project the price is too high for a starter (about $400, or less, would be better).

If you are just looking for a good cabinet saw, there are new saws available close to that price range. On the other hand, there is another Unisaw on ebay that is fenceless with a $795 buynow price - go figure!

Reply to
RonB

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

I don't think its worth it. I'd be really nervous about buying someone else's retrofitted motor. No matter what you decide to do, don't forget to take into account crating and shipping costs. These are a hidden cost when buying big tools off of ebay. We sometimes forget this cost when we see things like free shipping from Amazon. At that price, I'd be looking at a new Grizzly instead.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

The other folks all have the right idea, but I thought I'd add this. Be leery of tool wholesalers selling cosmetically reconditioned machines. It's sometimes done to hide heavy wear or signs of abuse. I usually have better feelings towards private resto jobs or ones from real service centers.

This one looks like it has heavy sanding marks on the table. I've seen other stuff this company has sold on eBay. Last one was an Atlas lathe that was supposedly mint and original, but in the photos you could tell it was practically dipped in paint.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

saw is a late 60s/early 70s vintage. It is a very good saw.

The two horse motor was available during that period though this motor looks to be newer. That is not a bad thing.

The switch and switch box are not OEM but look to be Hart-Arrow or something as good. They look to be re-located though I can't say for sure as the spot they should have occupied looks well closed over so maybe at this time Delta did lower them on the cabinet body.

It has all of it's tightening knobs though they look to be a mish-mash of vintages. I could be wrong, the pictures aren't the best. Still, this isn't a bad thing.

It has the original miter gage but I wouldn't be Woo-Hooing this.

It has it's original dust door and that alone is worth a hunnertish.

The motor opening in the side of the saw is rectangular and will take a new 3 HP motor without mutilation but I don't think that will ever be an issue as I think you'll be fine with the 2 horse. Still, if you insist that you need a 3 horse that will set you back $300ish.

The fence isn't stock to the saw. It's the older style fence and not a Jet Lock which would have been stock to the saw and it's vintage. This fence isn't the best but is workable/better than a 2X clamped to the table.

Is it worth $800? Yes. But, keep in mind, the fence while usable would probably be the first thing you'd want to upgrade. This will run you $300ish unless you bide your time and find a used (insert after market fence name here) fence for $150/$200ish. Other than that I don't see a whole lot that would cause you to spend money on this saw.

You have to look at it this way. It's buying a Unisaw on the installment plan. You could Buy It Now and have a Unisaw in your shop right away for $800. You could hang back, bid on it, break the reserve and maybe get it cheaper though I'm willing to bet the reserve is real near $800. Or you could go out tomorrow and spend the extra money for a new saw and have a saw in your shop in a couple/few days.

As an adult, it comes down to one simple fact. It's your call.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Thanks for all the good replies.

I guess I should just stick with the small Delta I have right now and work my way up to a real saw only when I am either good and ready or if a really good deal comes my way.

It's just so hard to wait sometimes!!

Reply to
Ray Kinzler
[snipped]

Some good did come out of this already. I stole a couple of the pictures for my website, Norm's Tools division.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

No motor cover...(might be impossible to find) Jetlock fence replacement $$300-400

They seem to go "high" but there are better deals that show up regularly. Ebay might not be your best bet. There are MANY other auctions online that sell power tools.

Don't forget shipping....$$$

Ray K> The buy it now price is $800.00

Reply to
Pat Barber