Is this a good jointer?

x-no-archive:yes

is this a good jointer for what I am wanting to do? What brand is it?

stryped

to me like my HF jointer. It's pretty nice but don't pay too much for it. Check
before bidding.

I would feel better if the fence were secured at both ends, rather than just the one. And I would NEVER trust the angle scale for an angle ... jus no way, jocko!

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

Looks like the Harbor Freight one that the scrap metal guy tossed in the pile of scrap the other day. Save your money, buy a quality one or a decent hand plane.

Asbestos suit on.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

>Looks to me like my HF jointer. It's pretty nice but don't pay too much

You gotta love their "30% of shipping charges" fee for local pickup.

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

Never mind whether the jointer is any good. Look at the seller's negative feedbacks

ask yourself if this is a good company to do business with.

Reply to
Doug Miller

> Looks to me like my HF jointer. It's pretty nice but don't pay too much

Reply to
stryped

Save your money until you can find a nice used Delta, Grizzly, Jet or even an old Craftsman. Used tools are a great value when you find good ones. I see several machines at a time listed in local trader papers.

Tom in KY, a jointer is not a good tool to go cheap on.

Reply to
Squarei4dtoolguy

Harbor Freight stuff is the crappiest stuff you can find. It is where you go when you decide to buy something that you will use once and throw away. I would not waste five cents on one of their jointers.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Wed, Feb 15, 2006, 6:38pm snipped-for-privacy@rocketmail.com (Lenny) doth sayeth: You gotta love their "30% of shipping charges" fee for local pickup.

I checkecked their shipping charges. I "love" them too.

JOAT I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?

Reply to
J T

Thu, Feb 16, 2006, 4:09am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@earthlinknospam.net (Frank=A0Ketchum) doth spuriously claimeth: Harbor Freight stuff is the crappiest stuff you can find. It is where you go when you decide to buy something that you will use once and throw away.

Gee, does this mean those Harbor Freight power tools I've owned all these years don't really work? Got news for you, they do work, and quite well. Oh yeah, you might also want to pass that along to all the contractors I see very time I go there.

I gues this means nobody should buy any of those factory reconditioned Delta tools from there either.

JOAT I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?

Reply to
J T

This guy is a troll. F--k off you jerk. Tom

>>> Looks to me like my HF jointer. It's pretty nice but don't pay too much

Reply to
Tom Cavanagh

x-no-archive:yes

Why do you say that? All of my questions are legit. I have even posted pictures of some things I want to do and ask advice on as well as pictures of the wood I have. I thought this newsgroup was to help people.

Reply to
stryped

x-no-archive:yes

Thanks for calling my attention to that. The guy does seem shady.

Reply to
stryped

It wasn't that long ago that we had a fairly full thread about something called "tool snobs". Perhaps you missed it?

The HF jointer is a good use of money, in my opinion. It doesn't buy any chrome. It doesn't buy any prestige. But you can't cut wood with shiny handles and bragging rights.

You CAN cut wood with HSS blades -- which the HF machine has -- and you CAN use a solid cast iron casting for bed and fence. The locking screws are chintzy looking, but are strong enough to work just fine.

Once set to an angle, it holds the angle indefinitely.

To be honest with you, I've run quite a bit of dirty oak, dirty poplar, maple, walnut and tamarind heartwood across that table in the year plus I've owned it and you would be hard-pressed to guess that. It's showing no wear.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

Thu, Feb 16, 2006, 12:52pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (stryped) doth mumble: x-no-archive:yes Thanks for calling my attention to that. The guy does seem shady.

Is the "x-no-archive:yes" really necesssary?

And, without a reference, no one knows who you're repling to. Unless you're just talking to yourself.

JOAT I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?

Reply to
J T

But the question still remains: Why not archive? Or as mentioned already: Why not check the archives? Your queries aren't _all _ that embarrasing to necessitate hiding them away. Trust me! Tom

Reply to
tom