Best Screw of 2002

Hi, excuse the subject line, i bought the QUICKSILVER® PRODRIVE® SELECTION PACK SCREWS from screwfix and have got to be honest have thrown more out than i have used, it seems that the heads are to soft so just round off, As anyone bought decent screws from screwfix if so which ones.

thanks

Steve

Reply to
SJ

13887
Reply to
Ben Blaney

They used to do the Spax Torx drive screws. Twin thread, with serrations on the last few threads. Superb screws. They stopped doing them, so I now buy them from Axminster.

Once you try them, you will never use other screws.

Reply to
Grunff

Well, there was this very enthusiastic girl called Catherine... but that was

2003, can't remember 2002.

The Turbogold trade pack, they self-start very well but can split thin wood if you are being lazy. The 70mm ones go in all the way before the torque limiter kicks in unlike some other types which start to tighten up half way in. You do tend to end up with lightly shredded fingertips.

Reply to
Toby

i've used them a lot and there very good, how ever I have had a couple of heads snap off when undoing them

Andrew

Toby wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Welham

Today I put in about 4 boxes of 3.5"x10 quicksilver screws, only a few were a problem down the angle I was driving at. Are you sure you are using the right size/type bit? I've also used the turbo gold screws in anger (1000+) and they seem pretty good.

Tony

Reply to
TonyK

I always buy the Turbogold screws. Never had any problems at all. Good for use outside as well. I have a couple of gates I made 2 years ago that are held together with them, still as new.

Are you using the right size driver profile? The majority of screw sizes you need a PZ2 driver bit, but in all cases use the PZ profile.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Boy, is the next owner of your house going to curse you!

Reply to
Huge

Why do you say that?

(BTW - no amount of cursing he/she does could ever match my cursing of the previous owners...)

Reply to
Grunff

I use the Screwfix screws you refer to frequently - haven't had much to complain about.

Are you sure you've got the correct screwdriver?

PoP

PoP

How many folks have even seen Torq heads, let alone possess a set of drivers ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I agree. Didn't know you could get them there...got my last lot from B&Q!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hello SJ

Buy a decent driver bit!

Screwfix Gold or Diamond Posi2 tips are recommended. Last for ages. Generic or even branded stuff just doesn't last and will round off PDQ especially in a power driver.

The only issue I have with screwfix screws, and I've bought a LOT, is the occasional infilled head - perhaps 1/1000. And then only when you're at the top of a ladder and only took just enough screws with you so you've got to go back down to get another.

Reply to
Simon Avery

Pretty much anyone who's ever worked on a car made in the last

10 years.

And even if they haven't, it's not exactly difficult to get hold of them. If somone isn't resourceful enough to get hold of them, then should they really be using a screwdriver?

Reply to
Grunff

Axminster do a bulk pack of Spax in a steel case plus three large boxes of wall plugs as a pretty good deal.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Will take a look...thanks.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No-one owns Torx screwdrivers. Except you.

Reply to
Huge

Really? Maybe I'm out of touch - but most bit sets, even those containing 3 pozi, 3 flat and 3 philips seem to have a couple of torx bits at least.

Either way, there's no way I'm going to give up a far superior screw for the sake of the next owner ;-)

Reply to
Grunff

Torx drive from Warehouse Direct.

Knock spots of Phillips/Pozi.