Best Screw of 2002

Every one of those sets of bits, drills etc for power drivers has a set of torx bits in it.

I also have a set of security bits from Maplin which covers just about every other variation - useful for dismantling brown goods.

Reply to
Niall

In message , Niall writes

When you find one which has 5 slots radiating out from a central nipple, let me know

Reply to
geoff

Aren't those Torx - a sort of fluted hex? Dunno the wood screws as I've not seen them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

If it is Torx, then even my old Rover SD1 uses them. You can buy them in sets even in Halfords.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Security TORX??

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Andy Hall writes

These screws have straight slots not a bloated pentagram. They're used by Sunvic to hold the case on actuator heads. I used to repair them and ended up making my own screwdriver

Reply to
geoff

I use TurboGold and have been very happy with them.

Reply to
StealthUK

Like this one?

Sparks

In message , Sparks writes

Nope

I'll have to photograph the screwhead I think

Reply to
geoff

Someone wrote "Buy a decent bit". I concur. Spent extra time tonight, while modifying a desk, looking for some 'Torx'.bits. Finally found them but none would fit the odd looking screw heads. I hadn't really lloked at the screw heads and was having trouble with a slightly worn Roberston bit! Closer examination showed the heads had an unusual eight point design to be used with a 'regular' Robertson Number 2 (Four side Canadian; in GOOD condition)!

Reply to
Terry

Small screws/bolts tend to be Torx, which is like an Allen but rather than the driver having a hexagonal x-section it has a 6 pointed star x-section.

Bigger bolts are often star drive (I think also called Torx, because the company makes them), which is like a hex head, but instead of the head having a hexagonal x-section it has a 6 pointed star x-section.

Reply to
Grunff

So, I have to buy new tools because "Every one of those sets of bits, drills etc for power drivers has a set of torx bits in it"?

Reply to
Huge

Indeed. They were designed for automatic insertion on car production lines. Why anyone would want to use them for manual woodwork is beyond me.

Reply to
Huge

Just curious really, but why don't any posts from 'Huge' ever appear on Google's service anymore? For various reasons I read this ng almost exclusively at

and the only time I ever see 'Huge' posts are when they are quoted by others, as above. Not that I'm *unduly* concerned about missing Huge's posts (no offence intended!), but I wonder what else I might be missing, and why? (I'm certainly getting all that cross-posted crap unfortunately!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

"Any more"?

Anyhow, I use "X-no-archive: Yes" headers, which means Google does not archive my posts.

I do not regard Usenet as a medium of record.

Reply to
Huge

Pretty much all old PC's use them internally - especially servers. You get some newbie tech morons coming across them from time to time and thinking they're either a hex head or messed up posidrive (htf you spell that!)!

al

Absolutely. Brass screws with the slots all in line is the *only* way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Alright, I should rephrase it:

to >>>How many folks, who are not denizens of UK.D-I-Y, or usually "get >>>someone in" to do jobs have even seen Torq heads, let alone possess a >>>set ofdrivers ?

Better ?

;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hello Grunff

Mine was a star. For every bit of wood fixed in this house (badly built fitted cupboards, pine panelling hiding damp and rotten plasterwork), was fixed with crosshead AND straight screws AND nails AND glue.

Luckily he didn't have torx screws also, or I'd probably have had to have hunted him down.

Reply to
Simon Avery

No, I was just making the point that anyone who's bought any tools with bit sets in the last few years is likely to have come across them.

All you'll need to buy is a bit set at £2.99, which will include all the torx bits you need to take my house apart.

Reply to
Grunff