cistern inlet leak

Hello again (on this subject) I'm not able to solve the leak in the 1/2" bsp fitting. (15mm x 1/2" ) chrome elbow. I think the hard red fibre washer can't 'mate' with the nylon cistern inlet. So I bought a pack some leather washers and some nylon washers from B&Q to try. Is a leather washer viable? The nylon ones have a round cross section but appear to be hard also.

Arthur

Reply to
51

Probably either the nylon valve or the male part of the fitting is damaged. It should be possible to seal using just one fibre washer.

As a last ditch stand before replacing them, you could try a couple of turns of PTFE tape (no more) onto the end of the valve. If that doesn't work then it's probably new valve or fitting time. Above all, don't force the nut onto the plastic thread. They are very easy to damage and strip.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:42:06 +0100 someone who may be "51" wrote this:-

Sometimes the problem is that the supply pipe has been bent to fit onto the cistern and is not square to the inlet. If this cannot be solved by bending the best solution is often Copperbend, which also allows for movement.

Reply to
David Hansen

Ive found a trace of Silicone *Grease* (not sealant !) smeared on the red washer and on the faces of the fittings that mate with it can help tap fittings to seal. The lubrication properties help it to bed in and the water repellant properties also help to keep the water in.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^