Buy wood screw assortment packs? (online USA)

What's your favorite online place to buy wood screw assortment packs?

By the way. Are self tapping screw heads any good? Mainly curious. I'll probably buy some of those drill bits that make room for the screw head. Sorry, don't know the terminology.

Reply to
John Doe

John Doe wrote in news:1u1ii.8614$bP5.2943 @newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

I usually buy screws at the hardware store. If I know I'll need a lot, I'll buy a lot. I rarely buy assortment packs, as I usually don't need

10-1/2" screws, 4-5/8", 20-3/4" screws, etc.

Self-tapping screw heads usually work ok. If you're working anywhere near the edge of a piece of wood, though, you should predrill for the screw. With the cost of screw guns (and drills) it's worth buying a second one to dedicate to drilling. It's much easier to switch between drills than it is to switch between bits.

The drill bits that make room for the screw head are called "countersinks" or "countersunk". You can get them alone, or at the end of a drill bit. (You can even use a drill bit to countersink a screw head, but it's not always easy to do accurately.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yup, got a Panasonic 12 V drill and impact driver during that outrageous deal on Amazon last month.

The impact driver is noisy as expected, and it's a little unusual to use, but it drove ordinary slotted screws without stripping or slipping off of the head.

With me, it's better than nothing, but tedious and inconsistent.

Enjoyed your writing about countersinks, thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

McFeeleys's - the DIY Dozen. If you have not "converted" to sqaure drive, do it now.

Reply to
Stephen M

A friend of mine used to sell those screw assortment packs in the classifieds in the back of magazines. He said the markup was unbelievable.

Probably better to buy screws by the hundred box as you need them. You can also get huge quantities of screws at tag and garage sales. Estate tag sales are the best as you're in the guy's basement and they're looking to clear out everything and the screws _never_ sell. The people running the tag sale would be thrilled for you to do the work getting them out of the house for them. The fasteners are often already in some homemade storage rack to simplify things on your end.

RicodJour

That's a terrific idea.

Reply to
B A R R Y

My luck has always been all that's there is the myriad of coffee cans full of miscellaneous stuff all throwed together--or, the organized set that sells for more than it would new... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

I've found the assortment packs from Rockler to be very good quality screws, and actually to be cheaper than buying the individual 100- packs.

"Square-X" screws will drive with either a phillips (everyone has one) or a square drive (works much better) bit. This combo pack is only available online. Rockler are the only tapered head wood screws I use now - don't bother with wood screws from Home Depot - they're awful. One time I thought I'd save time by getting screws there, and I twisted several heads off #10 screws. Waste of time and money. And I haven't tried them, but McFeeley's wood screws are supposed to be top of the line. They have combo packs also.

As far as countersinking, I have two suggestions: First, the Dewalt tapered countersink bits (DW2567, DW2568) are the best ones I've tried (better than Fuller or off-brands). These are available at Amazon and my local TrueValue. Sometimes they go on sale at Amazon for about $6.

If you want a separate countersink bit, which is sometimes handy, I've found this type by Lee Valley to work very well. Easy to use, cuts cleanly.
just got one of these a couple weeks ago, and it's already earned a permanent spot within easy reach by my bench. The Weldon brand version of these countersinks is supposed to be top notch.

Hope this helps, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Voice of experience: Do NOT to trust Rockler screws for critical work, like screwing adjacent cabinet face frames together!

Rockler screws are barely a cut above those you buy at the Borg's and, while OK for many shop tasks, they simply will not perform like a quality screw.

It's pretty simple in this age of corporate greed ... if you need a wood screw you can rely on, McFeely's is a good way to go.

Reply to
Swingman

John Doe wrote in news:1u1ii.8614$bP5.2943 @newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

great products, reasonable prices. Occasional wReck participant.

no affiliation, etc.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Swingman wrote: ...

I submit "corporate greed" is simply a reflection of the consumer choosing price over quality in the most part...

--

Reply to
dpb

"dpb" wrote

Yes, you could argue that.

But I submit that quality is often not even available locally and in many venues. If corporate greed was not a factor, this would not be the case. However you look at it, a lot of scumbags make decisions that make it harder for the rest of us.

And I don't want to hear the pure economic model crap either. If mega corps really gave a damn about us, quality products would be available right along the low priced consumer crap. You know the bastards are winning when you can't even buy good fasteners locally.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Wow - not my experience at all. Were all the ones you used from a single batch? I've used at least several hundred Rockler wood screws, bought at various times, different branches and online, so I didn't just get a "fluke" good batch. I've NEVER had one fail, either while driving or after assembly. Like I said, in my experience with Borg screws, at LEAST 25% of them failed as I was driving, and other batches have been equally unimpressive. I can't say how Rockler's screws compare to McFeeley's, as I haven't used McF's, but Rockler's have been 100% reliable for me, at a good price, and I'm happy with that. I have seen their heads develop surface rust on shop projects that were stored in damp basement corners, but they don't claim to be rustproof or for outdoor use. I haven't had any show rust in storage. If I wanted durable screws that would be used in damp conditions or outdoor projects, I wouldn't use Rockler's lube finished screws. I'm not affiliated with Rockler or anyone else, just sharing my positive experiences with reasonably-priced stuff. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yup, lulled by the misconception that his (or her) government wouldn't allow him to destroy his own society. To me, it's like voting with my money. Instead of voting for the same old Republican or Democrat, I use money to vote for either democracy or communism. If we vote for communism too much, then our government will be able to put the blame squarely on us, saying "you were free to do whatever you wanted, you could have chosen democracy but you chose otherwise".

Wake up people.

At the same time, don't believe the "globalism" garbage. Leaders of the free world have and could have us trade amongst ourselves, forever. Communist countries cannot compete, we've proved that already. Globalism is probably just a way for the bigger companies to beat up on the smaller companies.

Reply to
John Doe

Supply follows demand whether you wish to hear it or not...insufficient demand will lead to not carrying a product (or at least not stocking it--non-moving inventory is expensive).

--

Reply to
dpb

You're right. Allow me to rephrase that ... "It's pretty simple in the age of the dumb ass and corporate greed ... "

Better?

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah ... one batch for the last five custom kitchens ... hardly likely. :)

Re-read the first three words you quoted above.

The more you get into woodworking the more you realize that, for the most part, Rockler branded items are mostly chinese/cheap and pretty much suck, particularly on what can be considered woodworking "supply" items.

You admitted that you haven't tried McFeely's screws, a requirement in order to make objective judgments. Give them a try and your love affair with Rockler screws will evaporate, guaranteed.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote: ...

That's the rub for me -- it's sorta' like the HF deal -- there's no telling what will get unloaded off the boat the next time. From one reorder to the next they're likely to have completely changed suppliers so there's no guarantee that what was satisfactory/good the last time will be the next...

Leading to the possibility that both accounts are accurate from their own experience. (Altho I agree McF's is uniformly top-notch).

--

Reply to
dpb

Nahh ... too wishy washy, IMO. :)

Let me put it more "accurately": When you're building/installing $$,$$$.$$ custom kitchens, you will only attempt to do so with Rockler screws ONCE".

(Well, maybe twice, cuz you thought you got a "bad batch" the first time ... but you didn't!)

Now, that's "accurate", guaranteed! :)

Reply to
Swingman

I just got one of these a couple weeks ago, and it's already earned a

Just to add my $.02 on countersinks: avoid using ones with a single cutting flute, unless it is the type that slides onto a drill bit. It will make countersinks that are off-center from the drilled hole. I've got a 5-flute countersink bit that works much better (forget where I got it, probably either Ace, Home Depot, or Lowe's)

Mark

Reply to
redbelly