Small screw for door latch cover plate?

Hi, I have a Victorian house and all the inner doors have a brass cover plate that covers the lock and latches etc. I have lost one of the small screws (or bolts) that holds one of these on. It is counter sunk and flat at the end and threaded, it's about 5ml long. I have no idea what they are called or where I can get them. Can anyone help with a name so I can search for them thanks, Richard

Reply to
RichardL

best take the other one to a hardward store/antiquey place?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

2x1/4" slotted countersunk flat head brass screw?
Reply to
Matty F

Google for "brass machine screw" and you will find a number of suppliers. On the other hand, these are the sort of thing that tends to accumulate at the bottom of toolboxes and in any pots of odds and ends you may have to hand. You may find similar screws in old electrical fittings and sockets, or find things that have them in in junk shops and skips.

This might help:

hunting.

Spamlet

It's probably just a brass raised-head coutersunk wood-screw. If it's flat at the end (instead of having a point) then that's because the original installer has either cut or filed the pointy end off.

Dave Osborne

probly abt 45mm too long and coarse threaded tho?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

If so something like 2ba brass csk head would be likely

From a locksmith?

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Ah, my bad.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Well worth having a set of taps handy for these occasions.

Spamlet

"Tiny brass screws" Any sensible hardware shop will have them, also the usual on-line lot (Axminster, Screwfix, Toolstation)

For looks, go with brass. Brass are very soft and fragile, so it helps to tap their holes first using a matching steel screw. "Brassed" screws are plated steel, so look OK but don't last outdoors.

Heads should be slotted for looks, or Pozi for performance. Pozi looks right out of place on anything old.

For best performance (and compromised appearance), Spax make some really useful "hinge screws".

have a reduced head size compared to normal, which means you can fit a screw that's one size bigger (and stronger) into the same hinge. Dead handy, although I'm sure they were cheaper when I bought mine.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Around here, wood screws are designated by a gauge that shows the diameter of the screw, e.g. #2, and the length, i.e. 1/4", i.e. a quarter of an inch. The box would therefore be labelled 2x1/4 We have a whole room for just wood screws.

Matty F

Ah, he wants machine screws. I assumed he was screwing into wood.

Reply to
Matty F

I see the brass round head 1 1/4" don't have a printed label. Please confirm that you will rectify this oversight.

Reply to
stuart noble

That's not my department. I almost never use wood screws. I look after the machine screws and nuts and bolts.

Did you hear about the madman who attacked some laundry ladies and ran off? The newspaper headline was "Nutter Screws Washers and Bolts".

Reply to
Matty F